Gloves

Yeah I reckon they’d be ok for a commute like yours/mine too Adam. I think for any significant time in the saddle before 6am and I’d need something else. Will keep researching and check some of the stores around here to see if there’s anything good enough down to about 5 then I can chuck another wool liner under it.

Ezy, I’m sure we can discuss results this over a ride soon. Once I get something I’ll do a review for others. By all means keep posting more options though.

I’ve had plenty of 6am winter rides with my Ergon and only need the merino liner around 0. You can find them at Cycle City in Fyshwick. Those Gore that Ezy posted look worth checking out too.

I got some last winter, and they seem to be okay, but not as amazing as I thought they would be. Better than the Defeet which is what I was using before hand though. Haven’t had any problems with the waterproofing / wind proofing on my 20 minute commute though. Still get cold fingers and they are a touch bulky.

I thought you classed cavity searches as a gift not an emergency Liam

This, I used the defeet jobbies (attaquer version) and I love them. But yes the lack of wind protection sucks when going above 35 kmh when cold.

The only positive to this is when it does get a bit warm, there is enough airflow so that your hands aren’t completely toasted… catch 22 really.

another trick that is popular is running cheaper fingerless MTB gloves (the OG ground effect gloves are good for this) with a basic wool glove (not a liner) underneath. it allows you to run a thicker inner glove (+warmth) and the MTB glove givesn you some windproofing and wear protection. easy to remove as well.

pearl izumi cyclones had a good rep for a while… but ive heard the quality has decreased.

layers are much better than one thick glove.

At the moment I’m leaving towards picking up a half decent spring glove, then getting a merino liner from kathmandu or paddy palin to wear underneath when it’s cold.

Any chunkier and I might as well use the pipe gloves I have for snowboarding.

Edit: tthese look pretty cool but they’re $130 on chain reaction…that’s no joke.

You’ll be fine. This is all about trying what works for you too. I have Kathmandu merino liners and they make me sweat, which is not what merino should do. But Kathmandu is pretty shit.

Yeah i’m about to do that with my SealSkins. Might go for MacPac over Kathmandu though for a touch more quality.

(JLN i’m sure they’ll be waterproof when I need them to be, but on a 0-ish morning yesterday my fingers were super cold after about 10 minutes)

Yeah, I get cold hands really easily casually commuting to work and they weren’t amazing at 4-5°C.

Have you got your gloves sorted?[b]

Tuesday 2 June[/b]

SummaryMin -5Max 12Severe morning frost. Sunny.Canberra area

Morning frost, locally severe. Areas of fog in the early morning. Sunny day. Light winds.

Wednesday 3 June

SummaryMin -5Max 13Morning frost. Sunny day.Canberra area

Sunny. Widespread morning frost. Light winds.

Thursday 4 June

SummaryMin -5Max 12Morning frost. Partly cloudy.Canberra area

Partly cloudy. Widespread morning frost. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the evening. Light winds.

Maybe the trainer is sorted.

I’ve got a selection of gloves: some thin netti ones, some thermal fleece or whatever Trek ones, some DeFeet ones, and some Knog mtb gloves. If it’s around 10 degrees I just wear the DeFeet or Trek gloves, if it gets down to 5ish I double up the netti under the trek ones. Colder than that I wear the DeFeet under the Knogs. Or various combinations of the above. I tend to err on the “slightly too cold” side of things.

I actually went to macpac on the weekend and got a pair of merino liners for $27 normally $40 if anyone else needs a pair. Will be giving them a good test this week based on that weather forecast. Will be good to see how they go under a pair of long finger capo gloves. I’m aiming to grab a more protective mtb glove or something to go over the top this week if I can get away for a lunch break.