Gloves

What are you seasoned winter riders using for gloves in autumn/winter. As I found out on the weekend the gloves I currently have are no match for this colder weather.

I really hate chunky gloves. I was considering just getting a “spring” glove and then running a merino liner inside it for when it gets really cold.

Any thoughts?

I use Defeet Merino.
They’re very slim and are warm for their size. They’re good (for me) until about 0 degrees.

I’ll see if anywhere around stocks them so I can have a look. Thanks!

Yeah, I still have an unsolved glove problem so I will be watching with interest at other replies.

At the moment, the best options for me (down to -6) is Troy Lee MTB Gloves with Gore Wear under gloves http://www.wiggle.com.au/gore-bike-wear-universal-undergloves-1/

It does make for a fairly bulky solution though, I would love to find a glove that combats the cold without being too big on the bulk - I do like to still feel the handlebars and brake levers.

This is what Sean was using on Saturday morning Dave - not sure how they would go in the dead of winter, you will need some sort of windstopper to combat the numbness.

His weren’t the merino version, which based on what I’ve just read online are rated for a lower temperature.

Heres a shock dave, I run #flurofuckwit gloves. Sportful, always on sale on wiggle, pretty thin so good feel, gripper’stuff on the palms and yeah pretty warm. Probsnot Canberra proof without a liner…

And to answer your next question I also run the #flurofuckwit snoooooood when applicable. Yes it is required in parts of QLD sometimes.

Haha that top photo is so mental with the church burner shirt on. I’m gonna try and suss out these defeet merino jobbies somewhere local.

I’ve used Ergon HA2gloves for a year or two. They are MTB gloves, really light and let you keep great control of the bars and levers. They work because of the wind barrier they have. On really cold days I use a fine merino glove underneath and they work well. Under 0 deg I find that my hands are comfy after 10-15 min then things get bad again after an hour. But generally by that time the sun is up and it gets better.

This year I bit the bullet and got myself some Rapha winter gloves. Only had a couple rides with them, especially a crazy cold -4 on Sat morning. All good and after 1h the sun and temp went up so all good. Downside is that they are chunkier than the Ergon but not crazy chunky.

The main problem with merino gloves like the defeet is that you don’t have wind protection, so at speed and before sunrise they probably don’t cut it.

I also have a pair of these.

Lucky you got that new job then, don’t have to remortgage the house.

Won’t be a problem for me whilst I search for form until summer

I use these. They’re really comfy and warm down to maybe 6C. I use a liner for when it’s colder. One glove is easier than glove + liner though.

I have Groundeffect gloves too, but they’re bulky as. Warm though.

6C! Thats balmy!

I don’t rate the defeet warm enough, they are just knitted and therefore full of holes.
I have 180 deg south ones that are thin and good to about 5 under that I will run liners if it’s insane cold thin disposable plastic gloves keep you 100% wind proof/warm/dry if over/under standard gloves. It’s an old ski trick

yeah, I did that last time I rode down Donna Buang in in the snow, works good.

No way! What an awesome tip - I will give it a go.

Perfect for emergencies as well, like dropped chains… cavity searches etc.

Link, Dayne? chucked a google but couldn’t find anything. Did the old plastic glove in Tahoe a few years back after a dude put me onto it, life saver.

Don’t get SealSkins. Marketed as waterproof and and all sorts of other things proof but they’re already shit in our current weather. And bulky too.

http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_listing.aspx?g=1%2C2&y=2
Does not look like they make my ones anymore,
You will see experienced ski patrol/lifties/instructors even wear dishwashing gloves over the top and real shit days

I wear them 5+ times a week down to 0 degrees. They’re not going to keep you warm but they stop you from freezing.
I think they are rated pretty highly considering their small size and bulkiness.