Goldfields trail

Also, I do think it might be possible for the event to be done on a CX bike…maybe.

So I’m gonna ride this with my dad for his 60th in mid October.

I’m assuming rigid 29er will be fine for me with 29x2.25. He’ll be on a hard tail 29er or 26er.

Going: Ballarat -> Daylesfod. Daylseford-> Castlemaine. Castlemaine->Bendigio

Can anyone that has ridden it give me an idea on times? I know the 1st day is the longest but the terrain later might even things out?

If you are a good rider, rigid is possible, but personally I really appreciated a front shock.

When you are going from Castlemaine → Bendigio, be aware a good portion of the track diverts you around Mt William (i think it is). There are signs. When we did it at xmas though , we accidently ended up going from Bendigo, over Mt William to Castlemaine… it was a bit epic.
The track might be different now though, just a heads up.

Ta, I could take my 26" hardtail but I don’t find it that comfortable for long days, also I think if I ride my rigid 29er it will even me and my dads pace out a bit.

How long were your days if you remember?

I did this in Jan 18 months ago on a 29er xc-dually. Awesome ride, we found accom in Hepburn Springs for $50.

1st day was from Ballarat to Hepburn Springs and was 6 hours riding 90kms, this was at a pretty cruisy pace too. Mostly singletrack and lots of fun.

2nd day was Hepburn Springs to Bendigo with a lunch break in Castlemaine. About 100km and 7hours riding, although significantly less singletrack post Castlemaine. It was still fun, but endless road and firetrail started to wear thin as we got closer Bendigo. It didn’t help that it was about 40 degrees.

Routefinding was simple in parts, other times it involved accidental detours. The markers are great on the singletrail, but it was pretty easy to miss one.

If you’re interested I can probably dig up garmin files of the ride if you PM your email. You’ll at least be able to see where we got lost.

Considering the event I put on each year, I think I can help.

Ace, hope you’d chime in.

Just looking to see how hard each section is, my dad is a little concerned about the 70kms from Ballarat to Daylesford, and is contemplating a rest day in Daylesford which I am trying to persuade him out of but at the same time its his birthday ride and I don’t wanna make it too tough, although he is pretty fit for 60.

Is that (ballarat to daylesford) all single track? or a mix of gravel roads etc?

Be interested to hear how it goes MikeD. Thinking this may be a good ride for myself on cup weekend riding the CX.

Mike, will write more. Everything depends on the route your take.

ah, ok.

I didn’t realise there were multiple routes, we’ll be sticking to the beaten track I reckon.

I’m taking a long weekend (Friday to Monday) in daylesford and MrsFROG is doing some event thing in creswick on sunday which i’ll be dropping her off at.
Googling for trails in the area it seems i could take the goldfields trail from Creswick ~20K into Ballarat then return.

Question for those who’ve ridden it is what is the minimum level of bike to take for the Creswick - Ballarat section out of the flowing options:
level 1: 42mm (actual) x 700C tourer (with gears)
Level 2: SSCX pomp with 40mm front and 35 rear tyre, (as a point of reference, i’m comfortable riding this bike on comm games XC course at lysterfield)
Level 666: 26" rigid MTB. While this might be the obvious choice it’s THISrigid 26" and i’d really like to get rid of the horrible old school steel seat post and get a decent saddle on there before i leave

I’d choose 2.

the #FOAmafia has spoken

number 2 it is.

Ballarat forecast for Sunday is “shower or two” hopefully the weather works out OK ;p

Id go option 3 frankenbike

The SSCX will be fine. There are some fantastic logging roads like Basalt Rd and the like that run between Eganstown and Hepburn Springs. Basalt comes out near Cricket Willow where the cricket bats are made. The Wombat Forest on the other side of town has some great roads for SSCX. I take the SSCX out along East St into the Wombat Forest that way. If you have any mechanical issues and need to use some workshop space give us a yell.

If you’re a coffee fanatic, best coffee is the Glenlyon Store at Glenlyon (good for a feed too), Wine And The Country in the main street in Daylesford opposite the post office, Moor Please on the descent down into Hepburn Springs and Red Star in Hepburn Springs. Breakfast and Beer is good for a feed in Daylesford as well.

Cheers
Keir
0419 918 229

Thanks for the info.

I was planing on going for a bit of a spin around Daylesford as well so i’ll check out check out those options.

I’ll check out the cafe options as well.

I did Castlemaine to Bendigo section, via the Castlemaine Piney’s a few weeks back with some mates. All on hardtails, 2 with strapons, I had panniers. Heaps of fun! We skipped going up and over Mt Alexander (as it’s fricking steep and designated walking track only), which involves a bit of tarmac through Harcourt (stop at Tread Cafe!), but took the trail the rest of the way.
I’d advise against a CX for this section due to the rocky descents up and over where the water race turns into a tunnel at various points, and also the descent into Bendigo is fairly rocky and technical - granted though we did it under MTB lights after a very long day in the saddle.
Strava here if anyone needs a GPX: Bike Ride Profile | GDT Goldfields Track, Castlemaine to Bendigo near Castlemaine | Times and Records | Strava

Thanks for the info Mik.
i’d like to do the whole track at some point so it looks like the 559er frankenbike may have it’s moment of glory (there you go H)

I still need to get a “normal” modern seat post as the pressed steel clamp pile of crap it’s got right now is likely to amputate the hollow rails of my non arse hatchet saddle options. so it won’t get an outing this weekend (sorry H)

I’m looking at doing this over two days on the 27th/28th.
Leaving from Ballarat - dinner in Daylesford - use the light for another hour or two before camping for the night.
Castlemaine for morning-tea/early lunch, through to Bendigo before sunset.

1x10 Rigid 29er with a backpack.

Any advice?