Good routes around Melbourne on quiet roads?

i have no desire whatsoever to do the bunch ride. i’ve done it once and hated it, mainly because i got dropped within 10 minutes, but partly because i’d rather do it with a couple of mates and try and have a bit of a chat at the same time (this usually ceases once you head towards doncaster).

i don’t know what time the later group leave, but i like to go around 8pm-ish

The late group is 7 I think

No, I’d rather do it with you first so I know the route. Weathers lookin pretty shitty, but I’ll be in touch tommorow.

I know it’s far, and the ride there isn’t the calmest, but I love riding around Harkaway. Horses, hills, views where you can see the city, gravel bits, good phone reception, and you can roll downhill to the berwick pub afterwards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Endorsed.
Dylan has a pretty cool 50kmish loop goin on

Hi there! I love this description and as a new (revived) rider, I’d love to try this route. I too leave from Brunswick. Unfortunately the map link you shared isn’t working? I wonder if you have the route saved anywhere else that I could view it. I’m still finding my way around bike friendly roads. Thanks again for your input, this is exactly the inspiration I’ve been looking for!!

Also keen to jump in on any rides if you know if groups leaving from around the area. I average 21km/he at the moment on a 60k ride but happy to be dropped off until I gain more power.

Thank you!!
Niki

p-dub hasn’t been around for quite a few years so not sure if he will see this.

Have you tried apps like Strava and RidewithGPS? They have a function where you can see the rides of others, really good for finding quiet roads. It’s even harder these days compared with ten years ago but can still be done.

Another good option if you have a capable bike computer is you can pre-plan a ride on one of those apps and then upload it to your computer to give you turn by turn directions. I found that really useful when I moved to a new place with unfamiliar roads because it means you don’t need to stop to check the route.

The usual bunch rides are still going as far as I know but I haven’t done em for years, and they tend to be frequented by racers who are pretty fit. Butyou might be able to find some like minded ppl here, or on Facebook?