Good routes around Melbourne on quiet roads?

come back on moscoma st… best route tip brendan has given me (even if i didnt believe it at first). finish with a trip up gaffney st.

+1 for Mascoma Street. Although caz did snap her collarbone on it a few weeks ago…

whaaaa? whereabouts? thats crap news.

On the first speedhump, she just lost control and went over onto her shoulder.
She’s fine, although it was a pretty gnarly break.
She had surgery only a few days ago after doing it 2 weeks ago, so I’m not sure when she is back on the bike.

whitelsea.
its preety ugly but once you get out of the suburbs its all right.

that’s a fucking understatement, her x-ray was fucked up!!!

ouch!

As for rides, there is the Tour De Burbs loop leaving from the Guide Dogs which has rides both Tues and Thurs which should work well for your schedule.
There will be cars around, but I think in the brief you have set it’s unavoidable. (especially at that time)
TdB’s will make your legs burn and your lungs hurt… as I found out Tuesday night riding it for the first time (I’m not exactly built like a hill climber), think i’ll make it a regular fixture once I have a few more k’s back in the legs though.

let me know sime, i’ll try and join ya.

been months since i last did TdB (last time i did it was when gene smashed me up every hill and i nearly had an asthma attack whilst bonking! good times) and i’m feelin it around the guts!!

I have never done tdb before. I’m keen for a roll one night too.

oh it’s greeeaaaaaatttttt…

haha, I have wanted to do it for awhile, but need someone to show me the way. Otherwise I’m checking my phone every 5 mins.

Yeah it’s pretty straightforward once you know the way.

pencil it in for next thursday?

As long as you wait for me at the top of the hills

hahahaha, judging by the number of rides you’ve been on recently, it’ll probably be you waiting to see which way we go next at the top of each hill…

anyway, i’ll PM ya, try not to threadjack this too much!

To clarify: saying you’re going to do tour de burbs means you are going to do the bunch ride. If you’re just going to do the loop, you should specify. After all, if you’re riding down to frankston you don’t tell people you’re doing the hell ride.

sorry teach…

THIS WILL BE AN UNSUPPORTED RIDE ROUND THE TDB LOOP, I LIKE TO GO LATER SO THE TRAFFIC IS QUIETER.

dan, if you wanna do the bunch ride i wish you luck

My suggestion is if you’re going to do TdB bunch ride, ride with the earlier group on Thursday. It’s ridden like a race, an absolute suffer-fest and there’s no stopping at the top of climbs. However the bunch is significantly safer than the later group. You’ll get dropped (presumably), but I find it’s a good benchmark as to where you’re at. I like to try and make it further each time. I only made it all the way around and got involved in the sprint a while back after riding it numerous time, getting dropped further and further into the ride.

Will and I rode the later TdB group a few weeks back and it was easily the most dangerous bunch ride I’ve ever been on.

My mate was so perplexed as to why I was grateful for him bonking and losing the bunch!

+1 for the early session, the later one works if you sit on the front but can be pretty dodgy in the middle.