Googong loop

Posting this up as a suggested ride, I’m not sure when I’ll be up for getting out there again. Its a great ride because:

• its kind of hard to get lost (Keep the lake on the right, generally turn right whenever at a crossroads)
  • its good for all kinds of riders, and felt like good training. Firetrail, so you dont need wicked shredding skills, but its incredibly steep for a lot of the time, so the ups and downs are challenging to stay on and keep on truckin.
    Heaps of the climbs I was busting it trying to keep moving in my lowest gear (32:34 29er), one of the descents had me so far off the back o the saddle that I thought I was going to tear a hole in my knicks, and there are waterbars and 90deg+ turns that you really need to keep an eye out for at warp speed. Its loose. I would really like to see how a fat bike would go up those climbs with all of that traction and low gearing.
    Stats:
    48k, 1600m climbing (though prob 1500m of that is in the first 35k)
    99% (of time) dirt, bit of bitumen at the start.
    Only a few big (150m or so) climbs, but a heap of shorter ones that wear you down. There is zero flat riding until 2.5hours, and there is water available at that point.

The map is at Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Googong | Times and Records | Strava

Its definitely a fun ride, very physical and lacks the committment to maps and planning that an adventurous ride in the brindis brings.

I’m keen

would it be alright for a mtb beginner? keen to suss out some wider tracks.

When are we thinking? I am going to need gears for this and I have a bit more to do on my stumpy before ride ready.

I’ll bring mine, I have a feeling that it will suck.

Climbing on a fatbike is not so good. They are way better when they have heaps of momentum going downhill or on small climbs or flats

Id love to come but am at the goldcoast now and not back until the 16thish of july. Good work Johno,we need more group casual foa mtb rides

It might be a while before I get back out there. Maybe sometime in October? I guess you guys will have already been out there before then. I will taking gears off on July 8th, I think, and not putting em back on til start of Oct.

And yep, Ezy, my idea of “anything is possible on SS” has been tamed by this ride, it would be possible, but so is running it all.

So! October has started, triple tri is just around the corner (sort of) and that means gears are going to happen and googong loop will also happen.

Anyone free on October 27?

I am free on October 27th! Should be fitter than I am now.

The bad thing is I am getting a fair bit of pain behind the knee on the stumpy from longer rides. It is usually the day after a ride that it starts to feel a bit tender. I was thinking it was the seat height and am playing around with that at the moment. Hopefully that is sorted by then.

well then great :slight_smile: I’m sure your knee will be A O K by then!

I’m pretty sure I"m free. I don’t really do anything other than study and that’s flexible. Would a dually 26er be suitable?

I’m out for that weekend. Will be forging knives in Tharwa

Thats what I am riding!

Oh, dang! Yeah, I forgot, i’m forging knives in Tharwa with Keith that weekend.

I’m kidding. but i wish i wasnt.

Srsly dudeman, how come you get to do everything thats the best?

duallie will be fine, just be prepared to pedal :slight_smile: I am keen to ride it with some passion.

Saweet. I don’t mind a bit of a pedal. We should all do Mt. Coree together sometime.
Also can i sneak a lift to googong from someone?

Right on… I have another couple of guys keen for this, and maybe one of the wives too. Should bea nice morning!

I think between me and one of the other guys who is coming, we’ll be able to chuck your bike on a roof, Sean. QR or thru-axle fork?

Ezy, has your bike shopping started in earnest?

I hated my bike on the weekend! Not even 2 minutes into the 24 hour and I lost all of my gears. I will have to take it into the shop to get it looked at, I think I may have stretched the cable for the front derailleur.

But yes - bike shopping has started. I don’t/can’t spend too much though as I can’t afford the bike I want. I am talking to the Whyte dealers now about one of these.

Sean - I can pick you up on the way out (we can all meet in the city for a pre ride coffee?).

Thats a pretty nice “not the bike i want”!!! Looks awesome :slight_smile: i kind of hoped to meld the ride into a whisky session too, and/or the smoque thing? Could be a fairly big ask on fam time, but might work if i start talking it up weeks in advance

Sorry for the double post, but is 26th OK? 27th is trail race at tidbinbilla which would be a good time.

I’m keen to get in on this and meet you all but will hit you all up another weekend. I have the Fitz’s challenge on that weekend so will try to get through that.