Headset removal

Hey,

I need some help removing a headset. I can’t get the threaded top race off :?(pic below)
Its not a normal setup or at least one I have seen before… there are no flats for a spanner. It has a grippy ring thing. Is there a special tool I should be using.

Its a 1 inch threaded headset on an old shogun.

Thanks

vice grips :smiley:

Naaah…Stilson wrench

its just a nut. use vice grips, maybe a cloth around it so not to dent or scratch (sometimes easily done). normal direction thread.

Benchpress.

benchpress until you can do it bare hand :evil:

cheers, I’ll give the grips a go 8-).
I’m being a bit soft at the moment, don’t want to f the threads.

a

spray WD40. leave overnight. spray again then give it a go. I had a stubborn BB shell i tried for over a week!

…and just for fun you could try INOX instead of WD40. after a bit of experience with old rusty things I reckon it’s the best.

got it… now onto the cups :roll:

cheers

A hammer and big fucking screwdriver.

jedi mind tricks

Screwdrivers are good but sometimes do damage. I have found using an old screw that has had the tip broken off then ground down a flat end very good for removing headset cups.

Just cut it our with an angle grinder, much easier.
:roll:

have found that the best thing to remove cups is an old set of alloy flat bars and a hammer, doesn’t scar at all :wink:

best trick ive recently got onto is using a bit of tubing from an old vacuum cleaner pipe from hard rubbish. it’s just a bit smaller in diameter than the head tube and with constant fast hammer tapping for a few seconds knocks out the cups no worries, you get a nice even distribution of the force around it so it doesnt chip bits.

Piece of timber dowel and a hammer. Your mum / girlfriend / wife won’t notice if her broom handle is a foot shorter.

Similar to the vacuum cleaner pipe method,I hacksawed a slot down a piece of tube then you can spring it open a bit and it gives you a bit more contact area on the cup you are trying to remove.

Hey, thanks for all your tips and enthusiasm…

I used an old style cheapy seatpost to remove the cups.
All good, now off to the powercoater :-P.

anyone made there own decals before?

Yeah, I printed some out at home about six years ago, When you clear coat them,you just have to put light coats of lacquer on or the ink starts to bleed .
Turned out reasonable though.