Help buying solid handlebars - I keep breaking stuff and it breaks me.

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club might be the place for you - they tend to focus on track stuff but SUVelo is the inner-west/youthful club.

I’d love to race you but ;-)…never seen or known anyone breaking bars like that while riding on the street.

• maybe get some drops to learn proper technique btw.

Sounds like you’d do well racing on the track. The Dulwich Hill club train/race each week at Tempe, actually as far as I know they’re the only club that have use of that track. Plenty of info on the DHBC website. Otherwise if you’re happy making the trip out to Dunc Gray at Bankstown you could join any club and get into it.

Highly recommended if you want to go fast and not hit cars etc. Would need a “proper” track bike though, i.e. you wouldn’t use the same bike for commuting and on the track.

Thanks for the words fellas. I kinda just jumped at any combo with a 31.8 clamp, so some daeda drops and a 80mm 3T stem (20mm shorter than my old stem, since I was always reaching a bit too far forward to get all the bar positions available.) I ride lower when i’m stretched out and the flattened tops are nice to hold too. it’s also probably 20-30mm narrower than my older bars, so I find I cant twist them as hard as I did the old ones. should help with the breakage.

Forgot to mention that I kinda wanna switch to cleats as I…broke my old BO gear straps launching up the steep end of liverpool street in surry hills from a track stand.

your image links are broken

This is probably to do with your technique again.

Try using your legs rather then your arms to post?

I forgot how to internet for a second. links fixed.

that obviously fixed it!

Zing!

Anyone here go to the tempe velodrome regularly? I’m going Thursday night to have a look and a chat. If I like what I see, I’ll sign up and start tackling the track :slight_smile:

Great idea.

close enough. I didn’t have a hat so I used a wig. accurate.

^ You’re going to fit in here just fine.

noob of the week.

Jesus does this ever end…

Lateral play in my rear hub. If I grab the rim and move it side to side, I feel a slight bit of movement either way. Are there any adjustments I can do or are these failing bearings? (I crunched the original ones less than a year ago). It’s the original surly hub with sealed cartridge style bearings.

if the surly hubs are like velocity sealed cartridge ones (and several other no name ones i’ve used) there are locking nuts that hold the bearings in. they can come loose when tightening the wheel nuts. that might cause lateral play, otherwise it’s probably the bearings

I’ve just started going to the track again. Training is 6:30pm Monday and Wednesday though - I don’t think there’s anything at Tempe on Thursday.

It’s been a bit quiet lately, not sure why, but that’s kind of a good thing when you’re starting out - less people means more time on the track, and training drills/races can be tailored to suit what you want to do.

You’ll need to be a DHBC member. It’s not cheap, but it includes insurance cover for whenever you’re riding, and the same license let’s you enter road and cyclocross races if you want to get into that too.

I broke another bit of my bike.

the frame. great.

I noticed it felt really spongy when I was cranking it at a stand still. I thought the right pedal was busted (since I always launch from my right foot). turned out to be the frame. I only really noticed it after getting to work in Sydney CBD. I don’t know if I’d be alive right now if that crack had gone all the way around and snapped away the bottom bracket…

POWA LEGS

jeez