hey aquaman!

Exactly.

I find it amusing how these people constantly try to justify themselves and their bikes.

This forum just got dumber.

I think its awesome.

Its what the internet is made for; People justifying their actions to other people who dont care.

I care about his ballistic approach to punctuation.

" I like going onto those internet chat rooms and just waiting until it starts getting steamy, you know, ‘What if I did this to you, what if I did that to you’, and then I say “I love potatoes!”. They say ‘get off, old man, you’re sick’ but they settle down and start getting into it again, and then I say:

I LOVE 'EM MASHED, I LOVE 'EM FRIED, I LOVE POTATOES! "

I miss Dr Katz :frowning:

I care about his ballistic approach to punctuation.

C’mon, man, Kerouac used the paper on the roll, man, ‘cause, like, he was doin’ away with the restrictions, man, of individual sheets of paper, see?

i wasnt justifying myself to anybody i dont need to , all i wanted to know is why so much hate towards a bicycle wheel ?? I really couldnt care what anybody thinks about my bike , its mine isn’t it ?? as i said in a previous post why are any of you bothering to comment on other peoples wheel choice !!!

we are all riding similar style bikes there really is no need for these politics over a wheel choice for some people , we are in control of our own eyeballs maybe people that dont like what they are looking at should point there eyeballs in a different direction , then everyone can get along …

I think somebody is take things a little too seriously, hmm?

You keep saying you don’t care why people hate them, and yet keep asking for an explanation.

For your benefit, and not for the sake of getting into an arguement, there are a number of reasons people don’t like them.

People think that…

• they are heavy as shit.
  • they aren’t particulary durable.
  • they are flexible to the point where it’s a bit stupid. Sheldon Brown (don’t worry, not expecting you to know who he is) said “these wheels are the most flexible wheels I’ve ever tested. There is no difference at or between spokes primarily because they are so flexible everywhere.” Furthermore, where there should be some difference between your front wheel and your rear wheel in terms of the build, with these there is none. They’re the same wheel on different hubs (front/rear hub).
  • they are overpriced.
  • they are pretty much a fashion accessory.
  • they are ugly.

Does that satisfy your needs? But y’know, sure, they look fucking sweet when your rippin’ a massive skid between cars and you look down and your wheel is spinning with only 5 big fat plastic spokes instead of the 28 / 32 / 36 thin metal ones that the rest of us schmucks have to put up with. I guess…

aww, shit, i just got red pen all over my screen again. in further posts, please adhere to the one thought - one sentence rule. sentences generally have a capital letter at the start, a full stop at the end, and a noun and a verb somewhere in the middle.

note that these grammar rules are not entirely inflexible - my own unwillingness to pander to the fascistic notion of “capital” letters is one example, kerouac is another - but good manners nonetheless.

furthermore, you are a potato.

divergence. the melbourne fixed riders seem to be splitting into smaller groups, which is a natural result of the increase in fixed riders as there is an optimum and self controlling size for these groups/tribes. they are all developing individual aesthetics.

what it means is that ‘fixed’ is not enough connection any more, and just cause you have a fixie doesn’t mean everyone else on one is your buddy. that’s life, and there’s not a whole lot anyone can do about it.

my fave ever dr katz moment. you don’t happen to have it, do you? i’ve been looking around for a while.

I miss Dr Katz :frowning:

pm or email - I can supply. (c/o Steve’s awesome internectual powers)

I, for one, can’t wait until there’s a musical dance off (fixedgearfreestyletarckoff) between all the tribes, in order to see who controls the Melburn turf.

Will it be the 14-25yo bandwagon jumpers with their brakeless potato bikes? The wizened hardmen who’ve been doing it since before your parents were “doing it” and have still got their knees due to the judicious use of a brake? The messengers, the real trackies…? This will make Underbelly look like Peewee Herman’s Playhouse.

Fixed it for you.

This forum used to be about helping people get fixed and going on rides, from coffee shop cruises to epic adventures. But the primary focus was having fun, on a bike.

When NickJ first started the forum I didn’t think there were enough people in Oz to keep it going, up in Brisbane we used to organise ourselves via email and if a ride had 6 fixed we were amazed! I was wrong, it’s grown and changed so much since he left to pilot his yacht around the world, however in the last few months it’s taken a turn for the worse.

Members have come and gone since inception, some quietly, some with giant tanties. Some have (re)discovered cycling through a fixie and have moved on to other forms of riding (Only two fixed wheels on the Saturday ride).

It’s a (relatively) free world. Ride what you like, where you like, when you like, but at least consider using a brake, wearing a helmet, obeying road rules & behaving towards motorists/peds/cyclists/forum users as you’d like them to behave to you.

In the end, we all ride for fun right? Otherwise, why are you doing it?

If NJS makes you happy and potatoes rock your socks, then do it. I just like to ride, whether it be smashing myself up hills on the roadie, loading up the xtracycle (more summer bbqs anyone? This time with skateboard tow action) with cargo, cruising around on the hubgear or introducing someone else to cycling.

Ride on.

GOD DAMN IT! I can’t believe I missed all this [awesomness]! Why the hell was I out doing normal shit for once instead wasting time at work when we get a big bite on the shit stirring rod.

i think it’s just growing pains, i’m sure it will turn out okay, there’s a lot of goodwill out there, it just has to find out where to go.

(Only two fixed wheels on the Saturday ride).

more then that? me, pete, steve?, dafrog?,

An erudite observation Brendon.
May I add that Potato is fine in salad, and as a crisp, though not great as a front wheel nor rear wheel for that matter.

I hope my grammer is up to par.

If it makes you feel any better Mr Fuji, I was just having a laugh (at your expense).

Ride whatever you want, I don’t care.

As long as your riding.

Thats the key I guess.

samuel & blakey : thank you very much that was the sort of answer i was looking for , now i have alot better of an understanding as to why peeps think they are shithouse !!! ok now my mouth is shut thanks and sorry and shortsie agreed !!

Not bad, but your spelling could do with some work. C-

I was fixed too.

hahahah