Home Brew Beer

Would anyone like 12 of these 500ml bottles? Empty of course. They’re in the handy dandy cardboard box that they came in for easy transport/storage. Pickup from Queens Road, Melbourne. Close to Commercial.

New survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017CraftBeerSurveyEm

Comes with a code for $10 off at the end.

relevant humour: http://thehardtimes.net/news/homebrew-connoisseur-can-rank-worst-somehow-even-worse/

I’m planning to do a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil on the weekend. Talk me out of it.

Single Malt, Single Hop (SMaSH) as well?

^ Nah. Although it is a pale ale with Citra and Amarillo…and a tiny bit of Goldings I have left over from a previous brew.

Well good news on the current batch. Mash efficiency was at 68%, so maybe not setting the world alight, but better than the crappy 50% I was sitting on previously. Yeast has gone to town - where I was expecting an FG of 1.015, it’s down to 1.011 after not quite a week. The krausen has settled as a big thick blanket of muck, which much be great for thermal stability!

I guess I could rack and dry hop now.

[procrastinating]

I’ve got a Tripel brewing at the moment and the recipe called for Belgian candi sugar which is basically an adjunct to get the ABV up. Usually I get a litre of Belgian candi syrup, which is the same thing just dissolved into a syrup, but at $20 a pop I thought I’d try to save a few bucks and make some myself.

Really it’s just cane sugar and a food grade acid heated to specific temperatures then poured into a vessel of your choice to set.

This was the result:

It ends up as hard as a rock. I broke it up a bit and put it in the boil for the last 15 minutes. I was worried at first as it just seemed to clump up at the bottom of my urn, but approaching flame out it had dissolved completely.

Anyway it’s been in the primary for a couple of weeks now so I’ll probably rack it over to a secondary shortly and bottle it a week after that.

I was going to call it Tripel Not Triple as a nod to Rule #47.

I recently won a copy of Batch Brewery’s book “Brew a Batch” which has made me think about getting back into the homebrew game. I still have all of my equipment and am keen to make a session IPA for the warmer weather ahead. Has anyone made one with the Kit and Kilo method?

I also found a bottle last night. Probably looking at 3 years old… not sure if I should drink it.

No, but there’s nothing stopping you. Dry hopping is your friend.

What style was it? It’s probably OK, I mean, it won’t kill you or anything*. If it has been kept in a dark place without any major temperature fluctuations it may even be better than when you first brewed it.

• I take no responsibility if you die as a result of drinking this beer.

Pretty sure it is the brown ale - which is the last beer I brewed.

EDIT: http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=12576&page=40&p=570385&viewfull=1#post570385

which reminds me, help! all my last 3 brews have had quite a metallic/bitter taste ( my girlfriend says it tastes of ash,) the guys at the brew supplies place thought it might be related to sterilising using iodide, so i cut it out entirely last time, and still had the same outcome. I’m probably guilty of leaving it sitting too long in the fermenter most of the time, could that be causing the taste? I don’t really want to try again until I’ve worked out what it was.

^ My mate had this problem, but I don’t think we figured out what the cause was.

Is your malt extract/grain fresh? I heard stale grain can cause metallic flavours. Same applies for those yeast sachets if they’ve been sitting around for a long time.

You can get off flavours from the yeast cake if you leave your beer in the fermenter for a long time. But how long are we talking? You can usually leave it for up to a month without any adverse affects.

A Porter! Yeah get stuck into it. Report back with your findings.

While this thread is active; any suggestions to what I should brew next?

Looking for something that will take me into the warmer months. I have a recipe for a Belgian Summer Ale which might be good, or maybe a Hefeweizen? I’ve got a recipe for a Hefe with orange zest which could be a winner. Then there was that summer IPA I did a couple of years back which went down well…

Summer IPA - thats what I’d be looking at.

I’m pretty sure everything was fresh from the shop, at most a month or so old. I probably should have kept notes, but i think the extra time in the fermenter would have been between 1-3 weeks varying across the brews. It’s happened from both kits and separately assembled ingredients. I guess I’ll just try everything different again, maybe a half brew to see, and keep a diary of all the changes and time periods.

^ Just thinking out loud, but what’s your water like? If you’ve been using new ingredients for each brew then the water may be the one constant.