Home Brew Beer

Anyone want to buy a brewery? 88 Shoreham Road, Red Hill | Kay & Burton

3 Likes

Hereā€™s your pizza joint Jim

a bit, yeh

:eyes: :eyes:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3Mud2hvb3Noa2FhLmNvbS9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC9pZC8xNDIwMw/episode/MDVhMzhmZWUtNmI2Zi0xMWVkLWE3ZmUtZGY0NWMzOTE2YjUy?ep=14

Interview with a very tall brewer

A couple more from the brewery!

I went down the same path as my last beer to create something that was tasty just using what I had in the pantry before having to go off and buy new stuff. This one turned out far better than I thought. A combination of base malts and vienna + some nugget, cascade, centennial, citra and ctz make an appearance. This is one tasty frankenstein beer.

2 Likes

This is my first go at a kolsch style beer. A beer that I think will become a regular on the taps. Crowd pleasing, easy drinking and pretty to boot. The background of this design was generated using the Ai technology ā€˜midjourneyā€™ where a series of prompts are entered to an ā€˜artworkā€™ is generated - some of these prompts were added into the label design.

4 Likes

Slowly settling into the new house up here in Bris and have room to start brewing (properly) again. I was lucky enough to score quite a lot of brew and dispense gear on marketplace from a guy who was giving it up due to health issues.

I stupidly jumped right in with a NEIPA FWK which succumbed to the Bris heat after a few days and ended up down the drain. Back to marketplace where I picked up this fridge for $60 to be used as ferment fridge. Inkbird controller turned up today, so if time permits - Iā€™ll lay down another FWK this weekend. Iā€™m definitely keen to give grain a go eventually, but will get a few brews under my belt first before I dive into that. Poor @EzyLee has already copped 1000 questions, with no doubt plenty more to come! Happy days :slight_smile:

IMG_0537

2 Likes

Yes son! Glad to hear you have the temp control now ā€“ best move you can make. Now to dial in all of the cleaning and packaging, then you can start to make your own beer from scratch. Youā€™ll love it!

Also I would never recommend a NEIPA for a first go. Far too unforgiving if exposed to oxygen.

Iā€™ve still got a 240v temp controller Iā€™ll post to someone for zero dollars if itā€™s wanted

Kegged on weekend! First go at direct transfer and had no issues. Had a taste (All Inn Aus Pale Ale + 50g Galaxy) and it isnā€™t amazing, but drinkable. Iā€™m letting it carbonate properly and will give it another go this week - really hoping itā€™s alright :slight_smile: but stoked on the result so far.

3 Likes

Put on a milk stout a couple of weekends ago, decided to give the Voss Kveik yeast a go that @EzyLee made me aware of. Fermentation went ballistic in the first 24 hours, then nothing. Seemed to stop at 1.026 (aiming for 1.016.) Probably wasnā€™t warm enough - my heat pad really only gets it up to mid 20ā€™s.

Anyway, gave it a stir earlier this week - which I donā€™t really like doing - and it seems to have fermented a bit more. Iā€™ll leave it to the weekend and see if Iā€™m any closer to my target FG.

In other news I thought it would be cool to put a cork in the champagne bottles I use, just for packaging aesthetics really. The internet tells me it is possible. Cutting and incredibly long story short, the Belgian corks I need arenā€™t available in Australia. Even with postage factored in, a crowd in the UK works out the cheapest at around $1 per bottle, which isnā€™t too bad, but Iā€™m committed to 120 corks. Hmmmā€¦not sure.

Iā€™ve never used Kveik and have given away a few packets to other brewers here in Canberra, but Iā€™d expect it to want to have a bit more heat. Keen to hear how it goes from here though, so how long has it been in the fermenter for?

As for the champagne corksā€¦ spend that cash on another heat belt or fermentation fridge :wink:

Two weeks tomorrow.

Just checked the gravity - only came down a couple of points to 1.024, so Iā€™m still well short of my FG.

Not sure what to do next; might give it another stir and see if I can get the temperature up. If that doesnā€™t work Iā€™ll probably need to make a starter and pitch the yeast when itā€™s active. I did that last time I had a stuck ferment years ago and the resulting beer had a yeasty taste, so Iā€™m a bit reluctant to do thatā€¦better than bottle bombs though.

Iā€™ll need to do a separate quick ferment too to see what it can potentially get down to. Ahā€¦fun.

What was your OG? I feel like you need to get some more heat in there.

25L batch? It may have needed two packets. But really Kveik likes to be above at least 25c.

Next AGM has gotta be testing the home brews?

2 Likes

Well, 21L in the fermenter.

I agree re: temp, I started planning this one when we were having regular 30 degree days, but life got in the way and by the time I actually got around to doing it the temperature has been fairly mild.

Iā€™ve just put it out in the sun in an old wine fridge with a glass door, so Iā€™ll let the temp rise then give it a stir and see what happens.

Thanks for the counselling :+1:

The bar is always open. Please lower your standards before entering.

2 Likes