If you had $1600 to spend on a frame...

Lol look at the fireman, sliding down the pole and hitting that woman in the head! Haha

I see that, and I raise you:

Coffee’s:

And this is the best I’ve ever seen:

holy shit, can’t believe i forgot about coffee ben’s bundy triple triangle!!!

i think i love them equally, but for different reasons…

[/QUOTE]

This is a bit special.

I’d save up more (perhaps around $3k, maybe more?), head down to Melbz and have Tristram at Commuter Cycles build me something special with racks, integrated lighting and fenders.

$1600 might seem like a lot but materials alone is gonna cost between $300 to $500 once it’s here in Oz. A straightforward race frame (simple) usually takes most builders about 25 to 30 hours, if it’s complicated like a rando/tourer or has custom lugs and extra refined finishing it can take anywhere between 45 to 80 hours+. Then a paint job on top of that is from $300 to $600 depending on how nuts you wanna go. On top of that most custom builders spend a lot of time with fitting details, correspondence, build changes etc and hopefully make some margin of profit so they can eat, pay rent, and (just) maybe put a few $'s in the bank.

It’s funny how people regularly drop $3 to $6k on a mass produced frame yet for unique, truly made to measure hand built frame using materials that are relatively far more expensive and take around 10X more work to finish and build, the ceiling is often one third of the price of a disposable plastic wonder made in China using exploited labour and labelled as Italian made. Or compare the skills needed to build special one off frames to that of a plumber, electrician or motor mechanic. I know some frame builders who are much heralded, mentioned often on these forums but probably make $5 per hour when all is added up.

I’m not saying $1600 is small change but not really a lot of money. I spend more per year just on coffee whilst a hand built frame could easily last you a lifetime and be passed down to your kids.

+1

Go fully made measure as well that way you get your self a lifer!!

$1600 isn’t a lota money for a frame set…

wow, its great to have papa spirito put things in perspective.

someone in syd wanna give him a manhug for me?

Hmmm, there is much more to a bike than just the frame! That red Bundy frame and fork I posted was $1500, but the complete build cost just over $4k. That is more than a cheap carbon bike of similar level componenets. At the time a Giant TCR Advanced 1 (ultegra level) was $3999.

The Bundy build got better wheels, and no OEM components for stem/post/bars. So in my opinion the components on the Bundy were better, but they are quite equivalent and the price seems to reflect that - but that’s before consideration of the time and effort put in.

Also $1600 is about what framebuilders are quoting… I didn’t haggle to get the price of $1500, that was the quote… if they want to earn more, then they should put their prices up! But of course, that may have a negative demand impact. I think it’s unfair to have a go at someone for paying the asking price.

Agreed. And totally agree with Spirito too, but I’ve got a budget of $1600 because it’s a gift and i need to spend on a frame before the wife spends it on a new dishwasher. I’d love to save more, but two kids, mortgage and renovations make impossible. It’s gong to be hard enough buying the everything else for it. The one thing on my side is time so I don’t have to rush into buying stuff for sake of it.

My other option would be to just spend $1600 on a ready made frame, but I really want a keeper and would love to know it was built specifically for me too.

A little more reassuring to read that SanEsteban paid $1500 for the red Bendy. I thought it would have been more than that. So now I’m even more optimistic about my budget.

mate, i have to say, dish washers are awesome. Dosnt compare to bikes, but still awesome. Dont know how i lived so long without having one, albeit my household containts mother and sister inlaws.

Blimey Jase - it must be crazy in your house at the moment with the new arrival - I suppose it must be good having that much help though. We’ve already got a dishwasher, the wife just wants a new one. If I let that money go to soap I’ll never see it again, so for me at the moment I’d be willing to do the washing up everyday for the next year.

Spend it on a deposit with a framebuilder. Spend more as required in instalments. Begin construction when you know exactly what you want.

Treacle, the Kinfolk is a kick ass frame. The guys are awesome to deal with and it would be pretty hard to crew up building something special… But, you will need to kick in a little more than 1600.

Email Ryan or JB, they will answer your cost questions pretty quick.