Interesting article on disc brakes

Yeah, I get that. BUT, it does raise an interesting point. That disc brakes will not transition well into a weight-weenie world of road cycling (SRAM road calipers are designed for 140-160 rotors - but as it is raised in the article: “Constant dragging can be death to brakes. Heat causes failure. The smaller the rotor, the bigger the problem. Larger diameter wheels need larger diameter rotors.”. Certainly people familiar with MTB and touring know that weight saving is not the be-all-and-end-all, but thats not the case for the majoity of the roadie crowd.- “Is this your lightest bell?”

has someone told this to SK??? ̶h̶e̶’̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶p̶a̶b̶l̶e̶!̶

My take from the article:

-Guy has a clunky cable to hydro converter brake system, with inappropriate weight weenie rotors
-Rides down a significant decent with bad brake technique
-Brakes fail

Substitute rotor wheel for carbon clincher and pads and the result would probably be the same.

Does anyone want to lend me a cross bike with canti’s, worn out brake pads and super light deep carbon rims?

I want to take it offroad and get it caked with mud, then take it down a massive descent, continuously dragging the brakes.

After both rims explode and i end up getting helicoptered to the Alfred trauma ward, i will ask all the involved manufacturers for a detailed analysis of what happened.

I shall then write an article about my adventure, detailing my poor parts selection and not-so-smart descending technique.

^ Great minds think alike

I will buy the shimano product. It will work. It won’t fail.

if you want to see a great example of a cyclist with OCD please see the previous article

^ ah, that makes me laugh.

You know what’s a really big rotor? An aluminium rim!

Carbon tubbies for life ya’ll…

Doesn’t matter what kinda brakes or rims you got dragging your brakes down a big hill is pretty fucken stupid!

Colnago C59 with Di2 & hydraulic brakes:
Cycling iQ’s Photo | Lockerz

Seems 2012 will be the year discs on roadies/cx finally happen. The floodgates have opened. Looking forward to seeing what Dura Ace 8000 has in store for us.

I was fortunate enough to do some of those hills back in 2005 (did a tour with a mate, rode across france in the pyrenees) did tourmalet, aubisque and a bunch of others. I recall using up one set of pads by the third day. The roads were wet the first day so the pads probably got chewed up a bit with road grit. I’ve heard of folks going through pads on the alpine classic as well. I really doubt that having disc’s would have made my ride any better/faster/safer.
One thing i’d worry about with cheap disc’s is potential for brake fade on long descents? i’ve dont recall it happening on the roady brakes i’ve had but i certainly had it with a set of avid juicy’s.
Those things were always a pain to get aligned too
I rekon cheap disc’s on a roady would be like cheap suspension on a mtb, the kids will think its cool but they’ll cause more problems than their worth

Canyon Project 6.8.

Canyon | Technology | Project Studies | Project 6.8

Dual 120mm rotors on the front.

WTF is up with the levers! If that’s SR11, how is it being shifted? Under hood retroshift type hack? Or EPS flappy paddle?

Edit, nope, not EPS, not SR11 either, this was a 2006 project.

Annnnnnnnd one more:

TRP Di2 hydro levers.

TRP to launch Di2-compatible hydraulic road brake levers | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more