January 2018

Alright - so this is actually official now, work didn’t really give me a choice and I have a month off work.

December 22 - January 22

If any MTB bros out there want to meet for some Thredbo, Buller (Alpine Epic Trail), Falls Creek, Bright etc. Hit me up!

i sometimes dislike how much your work dictates your work/life balance very much, liam.

but that’s only because i love you & am probably naive to how common situations like this are.

Yeah, it’s not ideal but it is what it is. What they are doing is essentially not legal… but if I kick up a stink, where is that going to get me.

That doesn’t sound very Swell

Ezy, should we do a coast ride in Jan? it might have to be on a weekend, but we could ride down one night, camp at the beach, drink some alcohol… the fam would meet us the next day and I’d drive back, but you could hardcore it back up the hill if you wanted. I’ve never ridden to the coast!

perhaps it’s an opportunity to discuss your lack of stoke for their decision & to ensure that in the future, they look at how they can better deal with your absence so you can take holidays at a time that works for everyone (but especially you). you’re obviously a key part of the SWLL team, but because of that, they should be more willing to keep you happy & feeling appreciated. holidays at a time you want shouldn’t be the exception.

i’m obviously assuming a lot in this post, but i think you’d perhaps agree that there’s been a few instances where work has dictated your personal life way more than it should (your Roobaix trip for example).

i hope i’m not out of line or stating the blatantly obvious, i’m not trying to be a downer or make you irritated towards your workplace, just would love to see you out there doing more of what you want at a time that suits you & Vee more than Swell…

Yusss, let’s do this. Gypsy! You in? Anyone else in?

Keen, pending date, etc.

There’s no trout in the ocean, so maybe it can be Salmon and About?

Bit sucky to have to take leave when you don’t want to, but is it actually illegal?

An employer can only direct an employee to take annual leave in some situations. For example, when:
[ul]
[li]the business is closed during the Christmas and New Year period[/li]> [li]an employee has accumulated excess annual leave.[/li]> [/ul]

does your award/agreement not include terms that allow them to direct you to take leave during a shut down / if you have accrued excess leave? If they’re not there, then tell them to fuck off and show up for work, take them to Fair Work (and maybe you’ll be managed out later on…)

Yup, We close for 2 weeks over xmas. These are usually the holidays I take - but they want me to take all of Jan off.

This is what I found Blakey. Let me know your thoughts.

http://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000026#P1289_135273

37.8 Excessive leave accruals:general provision

i If an employee has an excessive leave accrual,the employer or the employee may seek to confer with the other and genuinely try to reach agreement on how to reduce or eliminate the excessive leave accrual.[/i]

37.9 Excessive leave accruals:direction by employer that leave be taken
i must not require the employee to take a period of paid annual leave beginning less than 8 weeks,or more than 12 months,after the direction is given[/i]

One thing they do at my work is first try to develop a plan to use the leave over about 6 months. If the employee can’t do that then they are directed to use it.

Could you plan to use a bunch in the next 3-6 months, at your preference?

Unfortunately not - I had earmarked March to go down to Tasmania but one of the other directors is taking leave then. It will put too much pressure on the studio having to senior designers away.

ANYWAY. It’s locked in. I can’t complain about having time off - so I will concentrate on the positive side and look to make sure I don’t waste it.

Apart from little things like this, I do love where I work and they do look after me in other ways.

Go ride you MTB then. Sorted.

Ride MTB, Ride Road, Bikepack, Cook BBQ, Swim in rivers, make cold brew, bake, catch up on netflix and playstation, read books.

This has been my experience at a number of companies I’ve worked for and with. Know a few people who had 4 day weeks for a couple of months (2 weeks is ~2 months, which can be great in the summer months here or winter in snowy climates) and/or regular half days to bring it back into a manageable amount.

Allows for some compromise and discussion between the different sides of the table.

But as you say Liam - you feel looked after in other ways and it isnt the worst time to have to take leave…

Yeah I did the one day off a week for a while to whittle down my excess leave, had to get it below 20 days accrued. Managed to use up a bunch of sick leave as #daddydaycare leave before my new manager cottoned on that looking after a kid wasn’t the same as looking after a sick kid. It did mean I wasn’t burning up annual leave, but after that I had to tap into AL. Still left the company with over 20 days accrued IIRC.

Yeah, that was one suggestion I had to whittle down my leave - take a Friday or Monday off each week. Straight out ‘nope’.

you forgot ‘wax the mo’.

It’s very rare the mo gets a wax these days. Fancy + free.