Kiddie Hauler

We use the utes at work.

Surprisingly zippy unloaded.

Good they have upgraded the stand, stock ones suck.

They do have a high BB for a cargo bike, we put a 26" wheel on the back.

Top buying Tate. Glad you saw it.

(btw: I have the bike Sir Kev was talking about, not another one. Borrowed it for BigAdz when he was down)

not sure i can get a 26" in the rear with the v-brake on this one.

and for anyone else playing at home, here’s something else that almost fits the bill:
Surly 1x1 Shimano Alfine 8sp
$1,100
FB link below

Shoulda bought the Ute from Velo in Carlton. Same price, I believe.

[edit]just checked. Velo’s ones have disc front and rear. And I think the price recently jumped to $1399.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/load-carrying-bikes/kona/vic/carlton-north/kona-ute/102278394

^ it’s lacking the kids seat, dyno setup and upgraded kickstand. i did see that before committing to the one in SYD.

It looks a little cobbled, (xtracycle bags on pvc rail?) But otherwise good. I’d buy a basic shimano deore hydro to replace the front cable disc brake and swap out your existing headlight for the junker on the ute or get a newer cyo premium (and wire in a nice b&m taillight on the rear rack while you’re at it)

Any disc mount on the frame?

it will be going strait to CC for put together/upgraditis.
will get my current lightset from LHarry
dunno if it has rear disc mount, i’d hazard a guess at no.

2012, 2013, 2104 and 2016 models all came with disc brakes, no model in 2015 according to Kona website, just the Minute

Intrigued by the ute, this popped up in my google searching

Mmm. Fizzy.

Nice find Dfunkt!

Been a couple of months.

What’s it like?

Enquiring minds want to know! (Due in March, will need something in a year or so :smiley: )

Been for a few rides now to coffee shop, and around the local parklands, both on road, footpath, compact gravel and grass fields.

#1 - HE LOVES IT! nothing else matters after that…but anyway, thoughts:

The double foot-stand is sensational. Really stable and planted when setting down, and before setting off. Is a must-have.
Will do a hydro front brake upgrade at some point, not 100% essential, just for piece of mind.
Nothing else is a positive stand-out, it all just works like a regular bike.

The big concern is tail-wag, esp when taking off. I will move the kiddieseat forward (so either above or fore of the rear axle) to help reduce this, although it is still noticeable when unloaded.
Gotta be smooth on the pedals, can’t mash and throw it around like any regular MTB.

The wife can ride it when unloaded, but once the little one is strapped in, she can’t get on-top of the tailwag.
She’s really not comfortable with him in it. Will do some more practice with her and a dead weight instead of the little-un.

And just regular talk, with the other kiddie-haulers in the area; the consensus is trailer for under 15 months, then after can move up to kiddies seat. Go with whatever they enjoy. Some refuse being trailered, others don’t like front seats…But all have found what works for them.

so, have just organised a yepp mini for this as well.
should be installed and out for testing saturday morning.
will also do stem swapping to find what works for both me + wife + ahead adapter.

Got some spare Yepp Mini Handlebar Adapters if you need them.

Good for goose necks, not Aheadsets.

and this is exactly what i will need to fit it to the wifes bike.

PM Incoming.