Kiddie Hauler

Howdy y’all.

Turtle is now of size to be carted around in a trailer/kiddie seat, and i am also sick of my LHarry commuter.

So it’s time to update.

Wishlist:
Disc
Large Tire Clearance - Guards and 45s/2"
Front (a must) & Rear Pannier Racks
Dyno setup (happy to add this later)
Budget ~$1k
Wheelsize i’m not fussed with - 26"/650B/700C/29er

Look, i’m probably dreaming a bit on price without building it up as parts, but i’d love a complete to start with.

Thanks Hive.

Tate

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=35770&highlight=cargo

while a cargobiek would cover the 1km Turtle-carry to daycare, it’d be way impractical for the other +12kms down sydney rd everyday (unless i could convince someone to ‘biekpool’ with me).

which is why i put this thread in the touring section, as i’m looking for something to either have rear rack/trailer attached.

^ Yeah, pick me up on the way!

I used to do what you want to do with a cross-check, it worked very well but no discs. Surly has the Straggler, and IIRC it’s a cross check with discs. A cross-check (and then I suppose a Straggler) will take 42c tires no problem, not sure about 45.

Regarding the kid hauling part, it’s important to consider whether you want a kiddie sit or a trailer. I have used both, they each have their + and -.

When the sit was on I couldn’t have rear panniers as well, which was not great. I still had front panniers to carry our stuff for the day. So if you go the rack+seat route, check whether your rack can take panniers + seat at the same time. Also if you have discs you’ll need a rack to fit, but that’s not a problem as there are plenty of options.

A sit is a much faster/easy handling ride than a trailer imo. With a trailer you have lots of room but it’s a lot more work on the bike, and you must be mindful in corners. I used a hand-me-down crappy/heavy trailer, and I’m sure there are great ones around that ride better than mine. Also, they are exxy. Good thing about the trailer is that it’s easy to take off and when it’s not on boom you’ve got your nice bike without clutter. if you take your kid to child care first thing you can leave it there and carry on your trip, which is pretty handy.

Finally, some people say you can’t have a discussion with your kids while they’re on the back of the bike. I didn’t find that was the case, obviously the discussion is easier with the little one on a child seat cause they’re closer to you. And with your budget, I reckon 2nd hand, cause panniers/racks/dyno and other accessories add-up quickly.

the budget is really just for the bike. trailer/racks/seats/dyno setup have their own separate acct.

have the trailer/sit debate nailed.

sorta stuck on where to throw my money. plenty of options around $1500-2k, and more than happy buying 2nd hand. i’m just horrible at culling all the options down…

What options do you currently have? Let #foamafia cull it down for you.

I’m about to graduate Maaike from her Yepp mini seat into either a trailer which I have and haven’t put together or used yet (donation from a mate who’s kids grew out of it) or a rear rack mounted Yepp maxi on the Wolverine.

Aimed to keep it to those under $1500 (if i could find prices for them).
As you’ll see, it’s a big ol’ mess.

Dawes Galaxy Cross
Claud Butler Malvern 2014 Touring Bike
Jamis Coda Elite
Jamis Allegro Comp
Norco Indie
Norco Threshold A3
Cannondale Hooligan
Cannondale BadBoy
Giant Seek
Trek 7.4FX Disc
Trek 520 Disc
Trek District 8
Trek Lync 3
Salsa Vaya 3

I have a Norco Threshold A3 2014, good solid bike I picked up pretty cheap secondhand, even if it’s a 54cm and too small (I get toe overlap) I use it for dabbling in CX, pretty sure I saw them for about $800 new recently. Shedloads of tire room, lots of mounts for racks and fenders. Do rate.

Used to baby haul with my Crosscheck, now with a 29er. Both worked but the 29er is every bit as fast but more fun. Flat bars and discs are ace for baby hauling.

What size? 58/59-ish? I’ve got a bike that ticks every box except discs.

No Sir Kev, I have a bike that ticks every box except discs (but I’ll give it back next week)

about a 54 roadie and a M/L mtb sirkev…

but funnily enough, WTP might have me sorted.

Someone had to step up as enabler now that Blakebot has left town and gotten the plague.

and the winner is Sydney!!! completely outta left field:

http://omafiets.com.au/collections/bicycles-alpha-asc/products/konaute18

i didn’t include a longtail in my list cos i always thought they were outta price (turns out they aren’t, so more fool me. esp when i now recall DICE wanting thoughts on his new doitall/kiddiehauler a few years ago and i voted for the longtail)
and already loaded with the fruit, so my accesssory budget for dyno/seat/trailer/racks can go into shipping instead.

Wishlist:
Disc front disc only
Large Tire Clearance - Guards and 45s/2" guards and 42s
Front (a must) & Rear Pannier Racks extralarge shopping bags on the rear
Dyno setup (happy to add this later) already there
Budget ~$1k 1350 + shipping from syd
Wheelsize i’m not fussed with - 26"/650B/700C/29er 700c

^ Rad. Says they’re sold out though?

yep, cos i boughts it. deposit laid down.

^ Nice.

shialeboufapplause.gif

Edit: that’s the bike I should have bought instead of my bakfiets…

Some proper self-enabling here, chapeau.