Kurth Kiln Krush Melbourne Gravel Grinders 11

Sounds good MikeD, IN!

So should I run my 2.4" MTB tyres or 2.1" touring tyres (like Big Apples)? I’m thinking MTB tyres?

Gunna take a punt - big apples will be spot on for 90%+ of the ride. And a bit dicy for the rest.

Really? I rode that area with a mate who was running big Paselas. They were sketchy. The lack of side knobs made him wash out all over the place - in loose gravel, clay or mud - whilst I on the other hand was fine for grip.

I’d be picking a fast rolling MTB tyre myself.

Alright, MTB tyre it is.

Big slicks will be ok, I recce’d it on 32 cross tyres.

Great ride today MikeD. Bloody hard. Here’s some pics I took

https://www.flickr.com/photos/strangejourney/sets/72157644300819676/

Damn, bit small but great pic.

click the ellipsis → download/all sizes → view all sizes → right click image for static URL.

Thoroughly enjoyed. Great route.

Endorsed. Thoroughly excellent day out on the bike discovering new roads and fantastic countryside.

Thanks to Mike and everyone who invested the time and effort to put on the ride.

Very much appreciated.

Stu

Sweet as, glad everyone had a good day, was a little apprehensive with my 1st cue sheets.

and good to meet both of you.

Banger of a day riding with some hilarious fools.

Belgrave bakery hXb are pretty good ride fuel.

Was reconsidering having completed the ‘commute’ stage (with eastern freeway and mullum mullum ST bonus sections) when we hit the first few climbs, but a dose of herodirt and some bundy sarsparilla sorted the legs out nicely.

Some great views on the 80km extension too made levelling up to that very rewarding.

LP and I were treated to a classic train weirdo on the way home who told us all about the bikes he built out of oil heaters and motorcycle tyres/shovels as well as his strong love for mustard sauce milkshakes.

Yep good ride/walk :stuck_out_tongue: and good day for train “weirdos” it seems.
There was some kinda glam metal wizard looking guy who got on the outbound train at Richmond and a guy with a beard, turban and staff (proper wizard staff least 5 feet long covered in feathers and jangly jewelry stuff) got off the train in Belgrave when i was heading back in to the city.

Think Jed had the pick of the weirdos when after riding through smoke from a burnoff asked the local if he had saw which way the bikes had gone “I don’t f**ken care”.

Also well done to the SSer’s those pinchy climbs would have been hard.

Forgot Jed’s weirdo
That smoke was a nice rapha epic touch as well, was following the SS repaired/gusseted traitor guy and the smoke swirled impressively as he passed through it, pity i left my B&W film crew at home though :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome route Mike D. Shhouse legs LP.
I regretted my decision to go on to the longer 80km route about 20 mins after lunch. Had an EPIC bonk, and probably the sorest legs I’ve ever had on a bike. Thanks especially to Nik Cee for nursing my sorry arse back to base, and for providing much encouragement and snacks in the midst of a few jammed chain and jelly legs sh
fits. Shorter one for me next time. Too hilly for my old unconditioned legs. I might have to quit bikes I think.
The classic train weirdo on the ride home was memorable, as he always was when he came into Velo regularly when I worked there. Mustard milkshake or salt and pepper coffee anyone?

Hi, that was me.

Thanks MikeD for organising the ride. I had a great day and was thoroughly exhausted by the end.

Hey I think that I know your weirdo NikCee… Did he have Dame Edna glasses?
My weirdo was more of just a firebug asshole who couldn’t be bothered even pointing and grunting. That situation was more than redeemed by a group of local kids who, when asked if they’d seen bikes going their way “Belgrave is full of them and they’re all dressed in black”

Hey peps, any photos?