Launcestern to Hobart

Greetings all.
i am planning to ride from the airport in launestern to hobart, Past scottsdale, to st helens etc then down the east coast to hobart. in about a week, nothing massive each day at all, averaging about 80kms a day.

I planned to camp along the way as im taking a tent etc. Any advice on pitching a tent wherever would be helpfull, i planned to stop in towns and find a camp ground, or pitch a tent for the night anywhere.

Any info would be ever soo helpfull, If your keen for a beer or a ride for a day let me know. im doing the trip in the first week in december. Any info would be really helpfull.
thanks

You can do it in a day, i’ve done hobart to launnie in the one day, came back on the return trip via east coast “it was very windy”.

Never ever ride the west coast “unless you are some sort of pain freak”. It is hard to do even in the car.

But def stop at Swansea, the caravan park is cheap and all the people that live there on a perm basis are nice. sleeping to the sound of waves crashing on the beach is also a bonus
The pool table at the RSL is worth playing on also.

thanks for the advice, yup i have been told by a few other people about the wind. fun times indeed.

Joey, make sure you stop at the Ironhouse brewery/restaurant just before Bicheno - their stout will fuel you to Hobart :wink: There’s cabin accommodation there too, not sure about pitching a tent.

…very jealous.

Roughly: Launceston, Deloraine, Launceston, St. Helens, Coles Bay, Maria Is, Port Arthur, Hobart.

Stayed in backpackers / pubs the whole way.

Tasmanian Cycle Tour 2008 - a set on Flickr

http://www.biketas.org.au/giro.php

^ Did you get to Deloraine then realise you were going the wrong way?

Awesome. I need to get over there…

Pull a bike trailor maybe?

You’re closer to the money than you think.

We should talk.

Blakey, amazing pics. Looks like you had a blast. It should be a fun trip im thinking, i got my bike all fitted with bags and whatnot on the weekend. thanks again for the advise. I have thought of the bike trailer, but went for the pack options…
cheers

Is there any good fixie shops in Hobart to check out?

I’ll let ya know I’m heading down on Thursday, my dad just got a job in Hobart, planning to do lots of road riding over summer…

Nothing ‘fixie’ specific…
Cyclingo will be your friend though.

If you’re keen for someone to smash some road kms with hit me up with a PM…
I do a few routes between 60 and 100kms pretty much every weekend.

Thanks for the offer, didn’t bring the bike this time though :frowning:

hey guys
wondering if anyone know of bike stores open on a sunday in tassie? or are most stores closed for the day, i need a bike box for my return flight home and thought they may have a cardboard one. cheers

Pretty sure they are all closed on Sundays dude.

Qantas and Virgin Blue both sell large airline bike boxes at the checkin counter for about $15. Much less disassembly required to pack it into them too.

Leaving tomorrow to do this exact thing with a bunch of mates. Got a rack, and all my camping supplies on the back of my Colnago and we’re riding around the east coast for about 11 days or so, spending a few in Hobart. Plan on taking it real chilled out, stopping all the time, swimming heaps, taking in the sites. Can’t wait, I’ll update this when I get back and let oyu know how it goes.

I am sorry but am I the only one who giggled when you send you wanted to pitch a tent. I am jealousy I went to tassie for the first time this year and fell in love spent the next couple of weeks working out how to get my wife to make the move.