Living with bikes in an apartment?

You did your research, I like that. I am with you on this one and I don’t like bikes on balconies anyway. They get wet, they rust, they may be in the public eye depending on how shitty your apartment is. Mine had to live out there for a night, cause you know people come visiting and need the second bedroom and I didn’t sleep all night.

Sounds good and should be doable. I would think our ceiling is concrete so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Any restrictions on leaving bikes and other things on the balconies will not likely be within a lease agreement - they’ll be in the body corp regulations that your lease says you need to comply with.

Most modern body corp regs will contain restrictions on bikes (amongst other things) on balconies, though few body corp managers enforce them (other than in the case of laundry). Main motivation is preserving the visual amenity of the building, and thus the owner’s valuations. Having a nice new building look like a chinese laundry with clothes and manchester drying on half the balconies on the weekends is a rubbish look.

The other issue in a low density setting is the encouragement of crime and theft where enterprising kids that watch too much parkour can access first and second floor balconies - again, creating negative issues for owners.

*property development pays my bills

Wife and i have 3 bikes between us in a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 bikes live in the storage cage (which is not in the garage but on a mezz level and it’s actually not a bad size, 2.4m x 2.4m). We’ve put corflute up on the inner walls of the cage so you cant see in and see the bikes. My commuter bike lives in the garage hanging and locked on the bike rack things. Haven’t heard of any issues with stuff getting stolen in the 3 years we’ve been here. I believe we have body corp rules about bringing bikes in the lift and storing them on the balconies.

It’s a pain when i want to do any maintenance on the bikes, i wont bring them inside my apartment so i usually just do it in the storage cage or take them to lbs

I have bought all the bits to make the following (Hanging Bike Storage Rack - Rental Property Friendly - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia) , just haven’t got around to rearranging the 3rd bedroom and putting it together…

^ That looks really good.

Agreed, that looks better than the poles to be honest (especially if you dont have concrete ceilings)

FYI i think some of those those pallet systems are on clearance at bunnings right now.

Dave has one of these he built from bunnings they are amazing!

I do

Here it is…forgive the mess.

^ thats pretty awesome Dave

Have slept with these bikes - would sleep again.

tbh this is far more spatially efficient than the poles too

We had a couple tarps rigged up bathtub style to make our study (in a rental) our bike room… tarps came up to waist height on the walls… White carpet. Our only rule was “no lubing chains in the lounge”, but even that was not adhered to. The carpet was a mess, but turns out chain splatter and bike grease are a piece of cake to get out. I loved having the bikes and a squillions parts in the house. We had a storage cage and kept bikes there for a while, but yeah, someone had a serious go at the lock and that was the end of it. Those were great days, turbo trainer on the balcony looking down to Port Melbourne, 14 storeys up.

The fake dexion stuff you get from Bunnings is actually pretty good (like what Dave has) but there is a even cheaper version that Bunnings sell that I’d advise to avoid.