Lock ring threading - how to tell if damaged?

I recently stripped the thread on my beater’s rear wheel. Shithouse wheel with soft hubs, which I am happy to replace. But I had put a steel dura ace lockring on it – and my question is, how do I know if my lockring is damaged?

The threads look ok, and clearly the dura ace steel is much harder than the soft aluminium hub. But I want to be careful to not damage my new wheel, so I’m thinking of buying a new lockring just to be cautious? Thoughts?

If the [cog] lockring doesn’t thread on and/or tighten securely, the threads are probably damaged (assuming hub threads are fine).

Sanesteban, how about you read the post properly before replying?

• Diddy’s not referring to the 1.37"x24tpi threading on the hub or sprocket, we’re discussing the 1.29"x24tpi reverse threaded lockring.
  • The lockring is steel, and it’s a quality DA item. The hub is aluminium and cheap. If anything’s stripped, it’s likely the hub’s threads.

Check the grooves in the DA lockring for traces of aluminium, clean it out with a scribe if there are any. Make sure you use grease when installing on your new hub and don’t force anything. If it doesn’t go on smoothly after cleaning and greasing, then bin it.

Caveat: Phil / Campy / Miche hubs don’t use the same lockring thread as Shimano / Formula / Novatec / Suntour / etc. And Mavic are different again. You can’t mix and match.

English/ISO 1.29" x 24 TPI
Campagnolo/Phil Wood 1.32" x 24 TPI
French 33 mm x 1.0 mm

Righto thanks Blakey. I’ll see how it goes.

It had nothing to do with not reading the OP properly, though it does have to do with not reading my reply properly. What I meant was:
If the lockring doesn’t thread on and/or tighten securly, the threads are probably damaged (assuming hub threads are fine).

And yes, I realise it’s likely the hub that’s stripped, but he’s specifically asking how to check the lockring.

If you were innocent of not reading a thread before replying, I’d be less perturbed by your jab.

Sounds like great adivce, albeit repeated:

Seems like it has more to do with you not proofreading your reply properly in that case. :smiley:

My repeated advice was due to quick reply and no preview and other replies posted in the interim. I saw the double up but I delete enough posts each day and couldn’t be bothered.

Hehehe. Guilty as charged. :wink: Thanks for pointing out the error though. It won’t happen again!

While we have Blakey’s attention - has anyone ever come across a lockring thread that isn’t one of the three typical ones, ie: not English, Italian or French?
Say for example, French diameter but different pitch to the threads?

I have a Sovos hub with a lockring thread diameter larger than English or Italian. A French lockring fits, but doesn’t screw on any more than half a turn before binding up. Any ideas?

Still looking for the Sovos lockring?!

I’m sure you’ve seen this at Sheldon Brown. It’s not enouraging.