Marin Pine Mountain - opinions?

Beware of the derpy 9 x 141 “boost QR” non-standard standard. Good luck getting an aftermarket or replacement wheel for that. As far as I can tell only the Marn Pine Mountain and Pine Mountain 1 use it.
perhaps its as simple as end caps with standard boost hubs but somehow I doubt it.

More here:
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-axle-standard-141xqr

So I got one delivered for $924. ($844 + $80) shipping. It arrived Monday night but I’ve been so bloody busy with work that I had no time to do more than take it out of the box.

But tonight I fixed it up and went out for a quick ride around the block. There was a funny clicking during pedalling which turned out to be the rear DR cable hitting the chain ring. Closer inspection revealed that there is no way to secure the cable under the BB. I don’t remember this being a problem on my last MTB that I sold about 2 years ago. I had to wrap some electric tape to get it out of the way. I think the root cause is that the cable is just too long and not cut to suit the size of the bike. It’s a small, so maybe the factory just make one set of cables and don’t adjust lengths for small,medium,large, XL etc.

The hydro disks aren’t all that strong. And the 780mm bars will be a problem filtering down Collins street between the traffic and the parked cars. I think I’ll be swapping those out.

Other than that I am pretty happy. The colour scheme, silver-grey and orange, looks much better in the metal than the pics.

Have you bedded the rotors and pads in yet? First stops on new pads always suck but then there’s a magical moment of grab

My first thought too.

Find a hill, get to the top, ride down with your brakes on initially lightly and then harder as you go further down, pedalling to ensure you keep moving, scrub that first layer off the pads and get them to bite into the disc. Go back up to the top of the hill, and then bomb down it and try your brakes, they should be working better now.

So this thing came with Nobby Nics which seem to be designed for mud with widely spaced knobs which will probably wear quite quickly on the roads. So I’ve been looking around and I’d love to get a set of these Vee Speedsters, but the only place I could find them is the VeeTireCo online store for about $100 a piece without shipping. So I’ll probably end up with the Schawble G-one frrom Bike24 which are about $50 a piece.

Searching for 27.5 x 3 at the usual suspects like Pushys and Cell brings up plenty of WTB Bridgers and Maxxis Chronicle but not much else.

Why didn’t anyone tell me that it would be so hard to find stuff for this bike? Oh, that’s right, lots of people did, including a few here in this thread.

I donated some really shit KENDA 27.5+ tyres to CERES about a month ago if you’re worried about wearing your Nobby Nics out. They might still be there.