Melbourne to Sydney.. soonish.

My serious idea at this point is a solo ride.
But my “more experienced” friend who did a Melbourne to Canberra ride recently reckons it might be more humane to myself if I rode with a few :slight_smile: And I kinda like the idea of company too :smiley:

When?? Very soon. In 2-3 weeks. Gotta make that OPEN.

Why: I’m getting older, 24 is a good age, I quit my job, I’m plain bored. Doesn’t require a reason to ride though! I just want out of here for a week or two… at least.

Who am I? Well, I’m avg to good fitness level. I can do 50kms typical hilly-flat Melbourne in ~ 2hrs 10-15 minutes. Plan to take it not too seriously and enjoy the ride.

How many? Well, 2,3,4,5… not too big I suppose. Even one other is enough to just break the scenery while riding is good I suppose. But yeah, if you and friends considering the same, I’d like to meet up and see if we can do it together.

I can be contacted at: practicalfool@gmail.com

Go for it man! Take some pics along the way and tell us how it pans out. You riding fixed? How long are you planning to take? What route?

Good luck!

i can’t recommend it highly enough.

earlier this year a bunch of folks did it the other way, via the coast, fixed or singlespeed, in 6 days. info here:

http://fixed.org.au/forums/index.php/topic,5784.0.html

I’d do it solo if you feel that way inclined - did something similar when I were a young’n (needed some time ‘alone’ after a GF breakup) and spent 12 days riding down one half of the South Island of NZ. The challenge/solitude is good for the soul.

One of the best things I’ve done clothed.

SW

and even before that a bunch of us had done it before it became sold out, commercial and hip-ster. :wink:

+1

Do it solo. You’ll really learn a bit about yourself battling head winds in the rain while 60tonne semi trailers belt past at 100km/h flinging up manky bits of 10 week old road kill.

Happy days.

Seriously, on your bike boy.

lolz. what does scooter call you again?

I don’t believe Scooter has a name for me.

Hell, yes… I’m riding fixed :smiley: m’be I’ll flip the wheel around if there are any massive downhills! M’be not. I’m not in any hurry… lol.

Although, the lack of pannier racks does make want to take my Trek FX 3.0 instead!! But I know I’ll hate it if I did, so its fixed :slight_smile:

hmnnn… current thoughts are on taking the A1 out east and heading throught the LaTrobe valley. Then on to sale and Lakes entrance. All the way upto the turn off for the B23. My friends did that, so I might get a bit of ‘what to expect’. Onwards on the A1 and follow Highway 1 upto Sydney… I’ll have to work it out in more detail. I suppose. Also, it depends on my finding a practical rear rack for my bike.

Riding a Charge Plug with a rando at the back (very blue and white bike). I can be seen riding b/w Bundoora and Fitzroy normally and from Ferntree Gully to the City more rarely. Anyone planning longish rides around melbourne plz gimme a heads up please. I’d love to come along for a bit of conditioning.

btw… back to the Racks, anyone got a suggestion/knowledge about fixing a rear pannier to my bike! No holes… OK, one brake hole. Thats it. I think the axle can take about 1.5-2 mm of metal between the drop outs and the nut.
I went to bunnings and asked for P-Clamps. They’d never heard of something like that! I might consider a plumbing store or something, but if anyone knows a sure way of fixing a normal style pannier rack to a fixie (I don’t really like the beam racks… aka Topeak).

Go to Abbotsford. They’ll fit a rack to anything.

:smiley: a rack on anything… lol… :stuck_out_tongue:

I might do that tho… also need to get one of those ‘on the rack’ bags that doesn’t hang off the sides… Only getting what I can afford :wink:

I’ve got some panniers you can borrow if you don’t tell anybody I own them and don’t correct my English again.

:smiley: I’ll take you up on that once I get the rack organised :slight_smile:

English… as someone says,

I didn’t even know what I did…

Maybe I took your post the wrong way. The offer is a genuine one. I’m in Richmond if you want to come and have a look.

I suppose you got it right :slight_smile: I was having fun :smiley: thats what its about… hehe… I do appreciate it. All in due time. If you’re not leaving town anytime soon I’ll organise a meet.

btw, I started blogging…

http://practicalfool.blog.com/

post revival

any word???

hehe… I’m still alive :slight_smile:

Got offered a job with a “starting next week”, so I couldn’t leave. And then, a week later crushed all that with a “Scaleback”!!! So, yeah, I’ve bn a little dangled on the issue for a couple of weeks now :frowning:

Probably worked out OK, for who wants to ride in THAT rain!!

Oh well,… nothing in sight for the next 2-3 weeks. I got an email too, never replied out of guilt, gotta do that :slight_smile: So, anyone else up for it! we can get planning.

PS: I’m crashing the ride around the bay with a few mates… anyone gonna be there could say Hi to the guy in the orange T-shirt, blue charge, white everything on the bike :wink:

did you ever go?

I checked The Bookstore Darlinghurst’s web site to see if they’re matching the Melbourne event but there’s no mention of him. I think he’d give the non-gay Mardi Gras a reality check.