Mr Pink - caution: contents not actually pink

Can you see yourself upgrading to dura ace in the next year or two?
If so it may be worth considering an 11 speed shimano hub,

These wheels are 20/24 and im not sure who builds for pbk,
Get a shipped price on them and get a quote from Fairwheel.
I would buy over fair wheel every day of the week,
You speak to a real guy.

Nah no dura ace ever I think. Maybe if they fix how horrendously ugly the DA9000 cranks are…

I haven’t been ignoring you re: the fair wheel guys, I sent them an email yesterday pricing up some build options.

… and yes we agreed 20/24 wasn’t enough didn’t we… Hmmm…I think the HED/CK wheel set is built by HED…

just out of curiosity, any reason why your not looking at off the shelf wheels within your budget?

is it a ‘because i can’ thing, or are custom builds that much more superior?

You mean the Pacenti SL23? These look rather nice. But I’m indifferent to the tubeless compatibility, so I’m not convinced that they’re worth the $40 more than the KinLin XC-279…

I’ve own wheels built with kinlin rims.
They are tough hold lots of tension, build a stiff wheel but…
Single pass machining on the brake tracks makes em… Pulse… Pretty bad… Really fucking bad with aftermarket brakes…
$40 is a couple of drinks on a Friday night or a weeks worth of coffee…

Hey Tomas

If you want wheels built by Hed I have access to cost pricing and the like from the company that import and manage their interests in austraila. I can ask around for you if that’s the way you wana go

Thanks, sugarkane.

Life seemed a lot simpler when I worked at a shop! Ask the reps, see who’d do you a deal on something nice and then drop a few weeks pay on that!

I’m not really considering wheel set systems for no other reason than ‘just because’. I find them lacklustre, i’m no fan proprietary parts. And most of them look shithouse.

Current plan is to wait until Fairwheel get back to me.

The rest of the stuff: Thomson, 3T Ergonova, tape, Fizik etc. is coming from CRC. Will place the order mid-week I think…Anyway, on track.

… politely disagree. Heavy rims and a decent build, both those wheels will last under normal use just fine. They may not be as stiff as a nice carbon rim but they certainly won’t fall apart or need to be trued every 30 minutes. I also subscribe to Sheldon Browns thoughts with handbuilt (road) wheels: ‘If there is same amount of spokes front and rear then the front is over built or the rear is under built.’
Wheelbuilding

I certainly don’t.

You can’t. I’ve ordered the A23 Helios (offset rear rim) wheelset for another bike already. Can’t wait to get it.

Are the hubs in those A23s nice then? If I ever find paid employment again I might get a pair to upgrade the CX bike.

I’ve seen them in quite a few wheels (varying miles) and all seems good. They just lack wank factor. Velocity do have a couple of different grades of hubs. All the recent Campy freehub versions have been very good. The older ones were great too but not 11 speed compatible.

I’ve suggested the wheels for people doing things on a budget, typically buying a groupset online and the wheels locally so as to build a bike on a tight budget but also be covered by local warranty should there be any issues with the wheels. Let’s face it if the bike is put together well it’s only ever the wheels that can be a problem. In saying that I’ve only got good things to say about A23’s that I’ve built and whole wheels using these rims that Velocity sell.

I should also say that whilst it’s cool everybody is passionate about wheels the reality is I could count perhaps a handful of wheels that i’ve seen where the rider has actually worn them out, or rebuilt the hubs to another set of rims when the braking surface has worn down too much. So many nice wheels that get used only a little, were built for a specific bike and/or just get sold for upgradeitis. I’m also guilty of overthinking the wheel choosing/options/theory.

Good man. Let the peeps here know how they ride/feel and how much when you get them rolling !!

I have to say that wheels really do make the bike and have a massive impact on the feel of a bike…

Wheels are the last place some one should save monies :wink:

I’m gonna do this soon, my DT swiss RR465 doubles are nearing worn-out-ness. The little black do wear indicators are getting pretty low.

I’m quietly quite proud of the fact that I will have managed to wear them out before:

a] wrecking them (though I had to do some bead manipulation after a head on)
or
b] upgrading

and to top it off I’m gonna lace over the hubs to some A23’s as they are within 1mm of the DT’s I am using so I can re-use spokes.

but back to the bike…
Money spent on wheels - saddle - and bars is well spent in my opinion.
Its easy to upgrade cranks and derailleurs, seatpost etc but if it aint comfy…

True, none of us live in seattle, where rims last a season if you’re using rim brakes. Brutal.

I really do enjoy reading everyones musings over wheelsets. In lament that it is fantasy reading at best for me, 110kg at the best of times, I have neve ridden anything other than a 36H laced to alloy rims.

My greatest dissapointment is at the lack of anything painted pink at all in this thread.

You can’t say you weren’t warned.

So after much deliberation over wheel sets… I’m still not sure…

CRC order went in, so i’ve got everything minus wheels at the moment… What to do… What to do…

Archetype, or fair wheels rims laced with cx ray to alchemy

Thats what i’m leaning towards, although CK not alchemy. Just shy of $1k delivered…

Yeah my favorite are tune, very light and great quality with great bracing angle
Alchemy are on par with kings, and are one of shifters favorite hubs.
Kings are kings and you won’t be disappointed and will last for ages.

Aspire Velotech are having a sale on 10speed shimano splined R45’s. Go buy a set, then take them to Hell on Wheels and ask nicely for them to be built to A23’s. Get pink hubs too.