My New Fixed Wheel

Hi all,
I have recently bought a Masi Speciale Fixed.

As I get used to it I am using the freewheel cog but notice that there is a knocking noise which I think is coming from the cranks. It goes away when I freewheel so I am assuming it is coming from the cranks. I have checked them to see if they are loose but there is no movement.

The only other thing I could think of was that it could be the chain wearing in but not sure if this would cause a knocking noise.

Has anyone any ideas or advise. I would take it back to the shop I bought it from but it is an hour away by car!

Thanks

some people might say get a new bike because they’re hilarious

hard to say exactly what the noise would be

my guess would be bottom bracket, maybe its loose.

could also be pedals, seat post, chainring bolts etc.

if you’re not experienced with bikes just take it back to the shop and let them sort it out.

An hour by car? Where do you live? I’m sure you can take it somewhere else and for a nominal fee they may look at it for you. But then again…

EDIT: I searched your posts and you’re from Perth, can’t help sorry dude.

chain too tight causing bottom bracket noise?
if it’s a new bike you should get in touch with the shop that sold it to you and explain the problem.
it’s their responsibility to make sure that their product is in satisfactory condition, if they are diligent in the least they should be able to offer you some trouble shooting info, or come up with some sort of solution. my 2c

ps, this should be posted in the help section.

could be a number of things.

for what you’d spend in petrol you could probably get someone closer to give you an idea of what it’d cost to fix.

then if it’s a big problem talk to the shop you got it from. does it have a warranty etc? when i got hit by a car about 4 weeks after buying my bike the lbs i got it from replaced my bottom bracket for free.

we weren’t sure if it shat itself due to the accident or not but they claimed it as a warranty job…

my 2c

It’s probably a loose bottom bracket. Most shops will remove, grease, and replace the BB for $20.

From Sheldon Brown:

"Clicks, creaks and clunks that happen once or twice per pedal revolution may result from quite a number of different sources, so there are a lot of things to check:

Pedals Loose?
Check this first, the pedals should be snuggly screwed into the cranks. The left pedal has a left (“reverse”) thread. The threads of the pedals should be lubricated with grease.
Crank Fixing Bolts Loose?
For typical cotterless 3-piece cranks, it is very important that the fixing bolts (hold the crank to the bottom bracket spindle) be properly tightened.
The threads of the bolt (or nut), and the underside of the bolt (or nut) head (where it presses against the crank) should be lubricated with grease.

Stack Bolts Loose?
The stack bolts are the 4 or 5 bolts that hold the chainrings to the crank spider. They should be good and tight. The threads and the Allen bolt head should be lubricated with grease or oil, but try to avoid getting lubricant on the outside of the nuts. The nuts for typical stack bolts have only two small notches to permit a tool to keep them from turning as the bolt is tightened, but if you leave the outsides of the nuts dry, there is usually enough friction between the nut and the inner/middle chainring to keep it from rotating.
Bottom Bracket Cups/Retaining Rings Loose?
Because of the threading of normal bottom brackets, the cups are self-tightening to a point. This sometimes leads to careless installation, particularly on the right (fixed cup) side. If the right cup is slightly loose, it won’t necessarily unscrew itself, but it won’t really tighten itself up fully either. The symptom of this is an occasional creak or clunk usually as the left crank goes “over the top” when pedaling hard.
This is a surprisingly common, and frequently missed, casue of unwanted noises. Generally you should check the items above first, because they’re easier to deal with. You can’t reliably check the tightness of the bottom bracket mounting without removing the cranks, but sometimes you can diagnose it this way:

Turn the cranks so that the left crank is alongside the seat tube, wrap both hands around the crank and seat tube ans squeeze the crank hard toward the seat tube.
Then turn the cranks so that the right crank is alongside the seat tube and repeat this. Listen for a creak/click."

I had a similar problem a while back. It sounds like a fairly minor bottom bracket issue, as mine was and as folks have pointed out. if you can’t get to the shop to get them to repair it you should be able to do it yourself searching youtube or vimeo for the issue . There are whole series online that have been pretty helpful and money saving