New Years Day Centenial trail ride

Alright,

lets do this, not sure where to start, maybe Mt Ainslie?

Lets start early to beat a bit of the heat. Bring cold water, I’ll bring some beer but we can probably duck into shops along the way.
Might be cool to have a BBQ lunch along the way at one of the camp sites maybe?

Anyone from interstate want to come along? Easy MTB trail, very minimal skillz required

Ainslie start sounds good. Annabelle could meet us with lunch at Lake Ginnindera. If we left around 7 we could be there around lunch time, there’s BBQs and the trail goes right through there.

That would be great!

Sorry boys - I have plans for new years day and it probably involves a nice greasy bacon and egg roll at some point.

I’m keen to join, provided I behave the night before. Will be on my cx and will try not to complain if its too bumpy - Don’t want to upset Adam

Would the 31st suit people better?
Less hangovers and still counts for the rapha festive 500

Yerp, 31st is good for me.

After discussion and planning on my side, no crazy nye night for me. So 1st is actually the best for me.

Lets lock this one in for the 31st, Start at 7am at the back of the war memorial

Hope that is ok Mansolwota?

31st works best for me too. Sorry Seb if that’s no good.

I’ll only be able to join for the morning half of the ride on the 31st - suits me though.

I may be able to do a bit of it with you on new years eve… maybe.

So I just did a calculation of the times and where we’re going; turns out if we leave at 7 and go north we’ll be at Lake Ginnindera around 10-10:30, which might be too early for lunch. If we go south first, we’ll be there around 12. I know Steve wants to do the hardest part (north in a counter-clockwise direction) first. But if we go clockwise then the northern section is pretty easy in terms of climbing.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Awesome!

Clockwise from Ainslie gets us to ginnenderra at lunch time?

Maybe that’s the way to go.

We could also start elsewhere if we needed too I guess?

Yep.
Ezy, could you join us in the morning for any of the southern part? And lunch?

Just spoke with a guy who told me some climbing in the northern section is quite serious, some pushing was involved and he’s a reasonable rider. so id be keen on going the way climbs are easier - on the cx I won’t have the gearing of a mtb. I’ll definitely join up to lunch and possibly a bit after, depending on how far I’m from home.
Also re lunch what are we thinking? BYO or stopping at some cafe somewhere? I’m easy either way

True you can go either way on the trail - but I would be certain it would be more fun, and easier anti clockwise.

I could probably join in on the morning part over anything. I am having a bit of a NYE party at mine with family so I will need time for getting the meat prepared and on etc for that. So 2 hours max for me.

From the time I did it in a day - I would rate these as being a bit tricky for when the legs are tired.

1. Sections of Mt Arawang
  2. Kambah Pool to Tuggeranong
  3. Just before you hit Isaacs Ridge
  4. Climb up to the Northern Border
  5. One Tree Hill switch backs
  6. Black Mountain

In terms of what section I feel is the most challenging, it’s the Kambah Pool to Tuggeranong section, it is very pinchy in parts and the only section that I feel is the most technical. I have ridden it with fresh legs and legs with over 100kms in them. The only section I walked on the day that I rode the whole thing was the Kambah Pool section. Everything else is either bike path, fire trail, double track or walking tracks.

Thanks for the info.
Ezy, if we do south first then I’m guessing it would be more practical for you to join us.

I’m not sure if it’s the same trail, but I road a trail between Kambah pools and tuggeranong on the roadie with 25s earlier this year (won’t do it again). I don’t know if it’s the same trail but from the map it seems to be in the same place.

Also, I’ve done the northern section both ways and found clockwise a lot easier to climb, especially because you avoid the One Tree Hill switchbacks and Widowmaker near Bonner.

Mansolwota, we’re doing a bbq lunch at Lake Ginnindera. I’m picking up food today. If you want I can get some for you, or you can bring it with you. The climbs in the north aren’t particularly high, just pinchy in parts, so getting off and walking isn’t much of a holdup. I’ve done them on the ss so your gears should be fine.

Ok all.

7am on the dot tomorrow.

Behind the war memorial near where the mt Ainslie walking track starts, next to the bbqs

Excellent. See you all tomorrow.