Outdoor equipment - what should I get?

i also have a freight forwarding account your more than welcome to use rolly

Some good suggestions already posted. I only have a couple of things to add.

Go for a full length sleeping mat (you really can’t go past thermarest for quality in Australia). While you may save space with a 3/4, I find them inadequate, especially if you have knee problems :slight_smile: My suggestion is to go for a less thick full length that keeps your whole body evenly off the ground.

If you are not going to be doing trips in extreme weather, a small tarp (MSR) can be a good, light option.

Sleeping bag quality is pretty good these days so don’t stress too much over that decision. I do suggest you invest in a good stuff sack for your bag though. The eVent Sea to Summit stuff sack is fully waterproof and bombproof.

Also a ground sheet for your tent is a versitile addition to your kit and doesn’t cost too much.

Come over to the Blansell estate if you want to have a look at some gear. We have enough kit for about three, maybe four people. We also have quite a selection of panniers if you want to borrow them.

Also something to consider is a sleeping bag that has no down/fill on the underside and instead has a sleeve that you slide your mat into, theory being that compressed/crushed down/fill has very little insulating properties and the sleeve stops you rolling off mat.

here is some guys rant/tips about said bags

The bag is lighter, my bag has that design (a macpac one) and it kept me warm here:

and +1 on stuff sacks and dry bags.
An old workmate watched his pack roll down a hill into a river soaking all his stuff including his sleeping bag all the way thru. We laughed and he slept my thee fire in the hut waking every hour to put more wood on. He bought a bunch of dry bags the next day.
They are also good for organising clothes etc in ‘sack’ style panniers like ortliebs even though the ortleibs are completely waterproof.

also +2 on full sized mats, cold feet suck.

FYI - You must grow a beard and wear flannel to own Poler gear. Preferably also be the owner of an artisanal axe.

(But their stuff is kinda neat. We have matching napsacks cos major dorks, see below).

thanks mate, appreciate it.

i like the sound of that sleeping bag, i’m a pretty terrible sleeper and would like some maneuverability if possible, where’d you get it? bogong and paddy pallin seem to have most things, but bogong don’t have that bag listed.

as for the sleeping mats, seems paddy pallin have lifted their game somewhat and they didn’t seem too much more than online.

i’m kinda hoping that if i get a decent chunk of stuff, in one hit, from one store they’ll do me some sweet deals. they better!!

thanks bro, i’ll let ya know, kinda need this stuff pretty soon though, would hate for something not to arrive in time for an adventure!

thanks kate, i may have to take you up on the pannier offer. i also need to look at what racks i actually have in the shed and which ones will work!! all this could go to shit if i haven’t got the bags to carry it all in! haha.

thanks for the tips though, especially with the stuff sacks, was wondering how to ensure everything stays dry.

so, i’m thinkin of getting the following:

tent - MSR Hubba hiking. it was the first one i saw and was recommended to me by someone that knows their stuff, so i keep going back to it. there may be better out there, but i think this one will be sweet. they are $380 online, $430 at paddy pallin. thinkin i may get a “gear shed” with it, any idea if these are worth it? adds another section just outside the vestibule for storage.

sleeping mat - thermarest or nemo. both stocked at paddy pallin, will try them out for comfort/size etc.

sleeping bag - will try a mont if i get to bogong as well as paddy pallin, or just take the advice of the shop person on what’s sufficient for my needs and packs down small and light. will also ask about sleeping bag liners.

stuff sacks - paddy pallin and bogong both have stock of the sea 2 summit eVent compression sacks, so i’ll get some of them too.

how do people feel about all that, reckon i’ll be sweet?? million bucks says i walk outta there with heaps more than that!!

again, appreciate everyone’s responses and advice, FOA, kickin goals once again :slight_smile:

sounds good rolly, i’m a bit jealous!

also, you may already know this, but ‘mont’ and ‘mont bell’ are two different brands. i think simon’s sleeping bag was mont bell…

are you getting a camp stove as well?

I would tend towards getting a lighter bag and a heavier liner - the sea to summit insulated ones are good- this means on warm nights you can just sleep in the liner and if you ever tour the tropics (heck it might happen) you can just take the liner.

Don’t worry, this is the start of downward slope that could consume your bank account and soul. Then you’ll end up like the sugarkane of Backpackinglight.com.

Before you drop coin on the tent (really good choice with the hubba) check out this comparison. MSR Hubba 1P Tent vs Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent | Backpacking Tents Comparison

It’s a good move getting a freestanding tent for more pitch options and faster pitching. I would check out the big agnes fly creek, it can be had cheaper/has more floor space, bit less vestibule (can always get the “gear shed add on” though I don’t reckon you would need it unless you wanted to cover your bike). It’s also weighs half a kilo less and is four inches shorter and half an inch smaller in width when packed (I think this is due to the pole system used). The copper spur ul1 can also be had for a bit more money/features.

Yeah sleeping bag is Mont Bell, their gear is awesome but no one in Australia stocks them.
I got it off campsaver.com, tbh they were a bit hopeless to deal with, couldnt find stock, unnecessary hassels etc. but they do have a bunch of gear at good prices…
They’ve also changed what they’ll send to aus now (ie no mont bell/thermarest/msr and a couple of other big brands), but if you use a freight forwarder you’ll be fine.

Another tent I would recommend would be the Vango helium Tents, friend of mine has one, nice design, easy to pack/down and packs up real small. they’re much cheaper from eBay than on that website too. Yet another thing to think about…

I don’t think this photo got the attention it deserves…

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

we just ‘re-upped’ our camping gear after years of non camping. We bought the exped down and synmats- 9 downmats for us 7synmats for kids. they are both amazing. we went camping last weekend and had a perfect night’s sleep. I’ve used thermarest mats before and the expeds I find far more comfortable and pack down similarly.
We bought two, 3 season sleeping bags from sam’s warehouse at the plaza for $25 each- they’re fine for our needs.
I have an msr hubba hubba for surf trips. It’s crazily light, half the weight of the same poler tent and can be found online cheap if you wait and look

If you want light sleeping mats, look at the klymit skeleton sleeping mats Sleeping Pads - PRODUCTS

I’ve seen a few in person and they are great

Probably not very helpful, but i really liked therma rest sleeping mats…
For crashing on the floors of mates places when stoned (this used to happen A LOT), heaps better than the couch option :stuck_out_tongue:

not as urgent as the rest, but yeah, keen to be self sufficient. see what’s on offer at the shop this arvo.

this is a good idea, I sleep hot, so I like the option of not having to be in a roasting sleeping bag.

good to know, bogong stock the exped mats so I’ll check them out for sure. I’m a light sleeper so I’m pretty keen to get something that fits me as much as possible. had a quick look for the klymit but seems they’re only available online, same with the vango & big agnes.

can’t believe I’m gonna actually buy something from an actual shop. haha.

thanks again everyone.

Who else wants to hear more about Rolly’s sleeping habits?

i’m just waiting for the 18 pictures of him sleeping from different angles…

wanna stand over me in an owl costume while I sleep?

1 muesli bar provided, must be eaten facing the wall though.

hey Tate - eat a dick.

I did last night.

I felt the same. And as someone in no way affiliated with bogong, I’ve gotta say they were really great & incredibly helpful. Check the synmat 7, $169 and super comfortable

slept like a log.

cool. was hoping one of the stores had everything, but think I’ll need to duck between PP & bogong. maybe I can make them fight for my money?? little bourke st battle? glad everything’s all conveniently located in the hammock district (on third…)