Over Worked or something more Sinister? Need a Doc. (BNE)

plum line drop, ie vertically.

I’m not sure this is good advice. Obviously I’m no expert but I don’t think knee over pedal spindle is necessarily the golden rule for everyone. There are plenty of well known experts on both sides of that fence.

Better to see a professional than rely on the internet for this kind of advice, IMO.

Too me it sounds like too much too soon, 170km is a big ride.

So what’s your background how long have you been riding.

A bike fit is about $100 just get one, it will save you a lot of grief

Plus you don’t really need to do that many long rides unless you really enjoy them 4x50 and 1x 100 is plenty of rraining

Should of mentioned I’m not running breakless
Might get a 19 next pay day. Can always switch it around if its to spinnay.

But slightly on topic, I haven’t done over 100k fixed but 70-80 my arms give out way before my legs. (As in calfs and quads because my knees are easily dying at 70k)

170k was the biggest day I have ever had on the road. But I had been riding a fair amount in the lead up to it. A concerted effort from Oct - Dec, then ramping it up for Jan. The rest of the body coped very well. The other usual suspects (body parts) were up to the task and the knee thing was entirely new.

I’d had knee pain before but nothing like this in terms of specific ailment. I mean, I’ve clearly upset something, so it is a matter of time and I’m good to go and can it be prevented.

I agree entirely with the 4x50 and 1x 100 is plenty of rraining, but you know what it is like when you start to feel strong and want to tet your self and your boundaries.

I just don’t want to waste my time having to educate a docotor. I want to find someone who knows stright off the bat the situation and has experience in the area and can deal with my knee issue in that context.

Double truth.

KOPS is an old standard according to several good bike fitters I’ve spoken to. It is, however, a good starting point for a fit when starting out, but modern learnings have moved into more varied options depending on the persons physiology.

does anyone still measure reach by doing the ‘with elbow at the front of the saddle my fingertips touch the middle of the stem’ measurement? that was pretty big in the late 80s/early 90s iirc but now its seen as ‘an older world approach’.

and a fist of seat post.

CONI would approve (as I remembered where a lot of these came from later).

Some interesting discussions on the changing ideas in bike fit (the comments have a lot of good info as well)

The side discussion about narrow bars was good as well.