Overland Track, Tasmania – Sourcing some tips

Hey! That would be super – I will send you some $'s for postage and beer :slight_smile:

Hey you Pine Valley fiends! We are trying to sort out how best we can do the Pine Valley as a tack on to the Overland. We have a couple of options to run past those in the know.

OPTION 1:
Overland Day 6
Windy Ridge to Pine Valley Hut (8.9km, 3hours)
Pine Valley to Acropolis (6.4km return)
CAMP at Pine Valley Hut

Overland Day 7
Pine Valley Hut to Labyrinth (4.8km return)
Pine Valley to Narcissus Bay (9-10km, 5hours)
Ferry to Cynthia Bay… MUST ARRIVE IN TIME TO CATCH LAST FERRY @ 3.45pm

OPTION 2:
Overland Day 6
Windy Ridge to Pine Valley Hut (8.9km, 3hours)
Pine Valley to Acropolis (6.4km return) OR Pine Valley Hut to Labyrinth (4.8km return) - PICK ONE.
CAMP at Pine Valley Hut

Overland Day 7
Pine Valley to Narcissus Bay (9-10km, 5hours)
Ferry to Cynthia Bay

OPTION 3:
Overland Day 6
Windy Ridge to Pine Valley Hut (8.9km, 3 hours)
Pine Valley Hut to Labyrinth (4.8km return)
CAMP at Pine Valley Hut

Overland Day 7
Pine Valley to Acropolis (6.4km return)
CAMP at Pine Valley Hut (additional night spent at Pine Valley)

Overland Day 8 (adds another day onto the trek - need to account for food, or organise a food drop)
Pine Valley to Narcissus Bay (9-10km, 5 hours)
Ferry to Cynthia Bay

I don’t think you’ll have any problem doing option 1 and seeing both Acropolis and Labyrinth in 7 days.

To give you an idea, in January I got the 11am ferry from the visitors centre to Narcissus, then walked up to the Labyrinth carrying 5-days gear and got to Lake Elysia by about 2.30pm. And the soles fell of both boots at about ten minutes into the Pine Valley from the main track, so I was then constantly stopping to re-wrap tent guylines and cable ties to keep the soles on.

The 5-day plan to traverse Du Cane failed without boots, so then on day 2 I had a leisurely wake up, pottered around the Labyrinth walked up to Mt Geryon, and then left from the Labyrinth for Narcissus by the time my boots were truly giving out and my feet coming out the bottom, and it probably took me 5 hours to limp back from Lake Elysia stopping every 500m-1km to sort out my feet.

And I was carrying a 5-day pack the whole way, whereas you’ll be able to leave your gear at Pine Valley hut and just take a small daypack. Easy.

Lets talk when we get lunch tomorrow Liam! I can bring a map or something.

My main advice is to just be flexible re your itinerary, like in Diddy’s case you never know when your shoes might fall apart (or everything might be easier than expected).

Yes! Lunch tomorrow :slight_smile: Looking forward to it.

It’s me again. Anyone done the Three Capes Track?

Did most of it before the new fancy huts and path got put in. The scenery is beautiful–highly recommend.

Some friends did the new walk there last year and thought it was great: being cooked for each night, easy boardwalk strolling, comfy huts.

Wait… being cooked for every night?

Just looked into it… it looks like we are going to do the Three Capes Track. Scenery looks amazing, but the potential of 48 starters per day is a bit meh. But I am hopeful it won’t feel too crowded on the trail.

I have a lot of opinions on “3 capes”. I have more about this new option.

If you want to be more alone go and do the Western Arthurs or South Coast.

If you want more options on the Peninsula, go camp at Fortescue Bay and walk Hauy, then walk Pillar with an overnight at Wughalee Falls (or do an epic day walk), car over to the trailhead and walk Raoul &/or shipsterns.

2.5k!! Probably more suited to retirees with the lodge walk.

Blakey, how much would you charge to be our personal porter, cook, ghost story teller?

I will look into those other walks you mentioned, see if I can string together an alternative and pitch it to Vee.

I’d love to hear about your opinions though, Blakey… obviously you are against this level of development on the walks?

Good value.

10% off with code AL9000

smuglord returns.

Yeah I’ve got the popcorn

Rather than the Three Cape Walk, or even the more expensive guided/catered versions, you can still do a form of Free Capes Walk: Three Capes Track with only a Parks Pass? – TasTrails.com

You miss out on the boat ride and a bit of the first day’s coastal walking, but you also get a different experience. If you are already doing the Overland with your own tents/kit/etc, this might be a viable option.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into that option. So whats the go, the Three Capes Track is dividing people it seems.

As with any development of a public resource, there will always be Opinions.

I like that the Three Capes Track has opened up the outdoors to a wide array of people who would otherwise shy away from going bush or camping - I am actually considering taking my wife and toddler on it for this very reason.

On the flip side, there are legitimate criticisms around overdevelopment and the access restrictions that are now in place - the above Free Capes option has a much lower entry cost, but you also miss out on some of the experience.

This sounds extremely appealing

" There are no views from your tent aside from the sea of leeches crawling around you."

That quote is true for pretty much all Tassie campsites. Still worth it!