Pedals for clipless OR toestraps

Well, I guess we can’t have everything. Get the scientists working on the clipless implants please. :slight_smile:

Do you think they are uncomfortable just because they are stiff or just crud shoes? Any ideas?

They are a compromise between being stiff enough for riding, but flexible enough for walking, When I say long distances I mean over 5km of walking and over 80km of riding, I have used them in both these situations (not by my own choice) and they led to mild discomfort.

Still they work for the 34km of commuting I do each day and the occasional stroll, and don’t look like space prostitute slippers so I’m happy

bahahahahhhhaaa! So true.

Yes, at those distances, I’m not surprised.

Im thinkn bout getting some of those Kursk pros.
Anybody on the Forum got these?

Unless your out doing serious k’s, clips and straps are fine. I love 'em!

If you’re going to get clipless, get some quality pedals and quality shoes. You’ll appreciate them all the more.

I have a pair of detto pietro shoes with slotted cleats. Useless on the street because you slot on to your mks or campy or whatever pedal but as soon as you lift you cone off the pedal. You really need to be strapped in as if you were at the track.

You could use a set of those ‘pedal covers’ which clip into SPD pedals to convert them into a regular flat pedal, and then fit the clips and straps onto those pedal covers. That way you could:
(a) use your SPD pedals normally when you want to ride clipless; and
(b) clip the pedal cover, clips and straps (the ‘clip-in clips’) into the SPD pedal when you want to ride with clips and straps.

Problems:
(a) You’d need something stronger than the plastic pedal covers that often come packaged with new SPD pedals. Perhaps something like this - RS Murthi - Winwood’s SPD platform converter - but with a lip for attaching the clips. Perhaps you’d need someone to fabricate something for you.
(b) The clip-in clips probably aren’t going to be quite as secure as simply using SPD pedals and shoes.
(c) You’ll still need two pairs of shoes.

Bottom line: I reckon you’d be better off with two sets of pedals (SPDs and platforms) which you could swap in and out of your bike.

I’m struggling to reconcile the likelihood of the questioner undertaking and completing modification works when they can’t be f’d spending 30 seconds changing a set of pedals over

I didn’t want to have to buy two sets of pedals if i could use one, and I don’t particularly like the aesthetics of the DVR shoes. Anyway thanks for the helpful comments.

The slotted clips here will do me nicely - I wanted something for which I could use cycling shoes and clips for the feeling of a bit more security/to stop ripping up my shoes with straps.

THIS.

Clips and straps FUCKING SUCK!!!
I’d rather ride some sweet mtb flat pedals than ever ride clips and straps again.

I agree.
flats or clipless FTW

disagree. clips and straps are great. ppl keep telling me to change to clipless on my FGB, but i ride it regularly to things where i need regular shoes and don’t want the hassle of carting around a spare pair of shoes.
and disagree if you will, but every pair of SPD sneakers i’ve ever seen look like something a special needs adult who’s also into nu-metal would wear…

(btw, i have SPDs on my roadie, which i mainly use for longer, fitness-y rides, and love them)

Didn’t people once ride the TDF in clips and straps?

Yep, but they aslo took a lot of Benzedrine and drank a lot of wine.