Police bosses fail on dooring death

So the thing to take from this is that cyclists have no rights, even if they die? Fucking shit.

https://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/10218/

10 November 2011. A driver responsible for the ‘dooring’ death of a bike rider was not charged by police after senior officers blocked any prosecution.

The unexplained decision was revealed at the inquest into the March 2010 death of James Cross, 22, of Hawthorn, who was ‘doored’ and propelled under the wheels of a five tonne trailer being pulled by a dump truck.

Cross, a Monash University student, died at the scene of chest and pelvic injuries.

The inquest was told that police were not able obtain a statement from the driver, Mrs Ellen Richards, 60, until some three months after the crash. The statement had already been vetted by Mrs Richards’ solicitor.

Mrs Richard’s told the inquest that although she looked in the mirror of her black BMW, she failed to see Mr Cross. She maintained that she only opened her door 12 centimetres although witness reported the door being opened sufficiently wide for a driver to alight from the vehicle.

The Coroner, Heather Spooner, found that Cross was riding appropriately in a shared bike and parking lane with bike markings.

Under questioning at the inquest Senior Constable Linda Kane, who prepared the Coronial Brief, acknowledged that the potential police charge of opening a vehicle door to the danger of another was not pursued.

She said she has spoken to her ‘bosses’ at Boroondara Station who informed her that a charge against Mrs Richards would not be authorised.

Coroner Spooner said that with cyclist numbers growing across the state, ensuring their safety was of paramount importance if cycling is to be promoted as a legitimate form of transport.

“Cyclist have a right to ride in safety and not be fearful of being hit by a car door”, she said.

“Motorists need to be more aware of their responsibility to thoroughly check for cyclists before opening a car door.”

She recommended that VicRoads work closely with local government to promote the reconfiguration of bicycle and parking lanes to place the bike lanes adjacent to the curb, Copenhagen-style.

She also recommended that VicRoads implement a communication campaign to educate motorists of the need to thoroughly check before opening their car door, and to increase awareness among cyclists of the need to remain vigilant when riding past car doors.

The inquest was told that police were not able obtain a statement from the driver, Mrs Ellen Richards, 60, until some three months after the crash. The statement had already been vetted by Mrs Richards’ solicitor.

FUCK THIS SHIT!

VicPol: To Neglect & Collect

Can’t live with em, can’t kill em.

Tell me i’m dreaming. Where do we protest this?

Point 39 in the coroners report: The ‘bosses’ at the police station told constable Kane a charge against Mrs Richardson would not be supported.

WTF?!

How on earth would you not be able to take a statement for 3 months? Did they just forget or couldn’t be bothered?

Questions need to be asked…

Because people on bikes getting injured isn’t a high priority.

ftfy

"Under questioning at the inquest Senior Constable Linda Kane, who prepared the Coronial Brief, acknowledged that the potential police charge of opening a vehicle door to the danger of another was not pursued.

She said she has spoken to her ‘bosses’ at Boroondara Station who informed her that a charge against Mrs Richards would not be authorised."

That is absolutely mind-boggling.

Do police have carte-blanche discretion?? Dont they generally ask if a victim of crime wants to press charges unless its mandatrory like with domestic violence incidents?

Not so mind-boggling. obviously this old ₪₪₪₪ has some freinds in high places. and given the victim wasn’t around to pursue the case, well, cops being the dumb, lazy, corrupt ₪₪₪₪s they are…

the counsel for the family said this:

Mr Bushell should not be held responsible by Mr Cross’ death and similarly Mrs Richards “should not carry a cross for the rest of her days for a moment of carelessness or inattention”

they’re better people than me. i’d be so devastated by the loss i’d want her to be fully aware that her moment of carelessness and inattention KILLED my son.

unfortunately, i don’t think this attitude will change until someone with a high public profile is seriously injured or killed and this is downright appalling

I posted here years ago that Glenferrie Rd is the most dangerous part of my commute. Old people, distracted, ignorant mums in 4wd’s, impatient shoppers looking for a park and P-plate students make it a rolling minefield.

I hope the memory haunts her 'til her dying day.

I can understand the sentiment here, but cant help but feel a bit of empathy for this woman. Chances are that it was just a moment of inattention, a lack of awareness, a lack of education. Im sure she will have to live with that memory every day for the rest of her life. I think the anger and vitriol is better directed at gutless policy makers and their police cronies… but a charge should have been laid.

This can all lead to anyone of us being dead though. So it’s unacceptable.

Yeah, I understand that… its a sad story all round.

maybe she shouldn’t have been driving a car then? when you get behind the wheel, you have an obligation to be attentive, aware, and educated. a lack of attention isn’t an accident - it’s negligence.

This is pretty much the cause of all car accidents. They’ll still charge you though, and if appropriate lock you up for it.

That’s the elephant in the room. Try to tell people that people driving cars is the cause of all vehicular deaths and you get shouted down. Cars are a 2 tonne death machine and should be treated as such, not as something you sit in while making phone calls, eating breakfast and doing your makeup, and occasionally braking for the car in front.

Yet again a clear indication that the only way to kill somebody and walk off without any jail time or charges then is if you’re behind the wheel of a car.

I’m sure it wasn’t the driver’s intention, but it’s a clear message to motorists and cyclists that there are rules and then there are rules.