Power meters. How did they help you?

underrecovery strikes again.

gtfo with your common sense.

No one here ever let that get in the way of purchasing new bike gear. If this was the reality, we’d all be riding alu/Tiagra combos!

This.

OP, also consider developing some kind of weekly training program to stick to. You can find a heap of information on the interweb about this. Keep on racing and learning the different types of tactics so you can race smart as well as strong. HR will do you fine when it comes to the numbers, and at a fifth of the price. Do your stretches, and a little core stuff will help as well! Other than that you seem pretty motivated to improve, so stick at it!

Agreed other than the requirement for a coach if you are keen to read all the literature you can get your hands onto.

But otherwise still no harm discussing the options. My offer to lend the book still stands - if the OP’s head isn’t spinning after reading and is still interested in a PM, it may well be a worthwhile option down the track.

Good online document to read in the interim - The Road Cyclist’s Guide to Training with Power, by Charles Howe

http://velodynamics2.webs.com/rcgtp1.pdf

When I was training I just rode my bike and sank beers when I didn’t want to. I mean, I wasn’t good, but i was racing B grade comfortably.

I would save money and get a garmin. You’ll find that after a year or two training with HR you can go by feel, even when you’re not using the HR band.

Basically, it’s the vibe. Like Mabo.

Cathy freeman?

Really appreciate the kind offer, I’m over in Adelaide though so I’ll have to pass :slight_smile:

100% agree on new bike/wheels not being needed. Realistically I’m keeping up fine or passing 99% of people I see on the road (that doesn’t really mean shit though) & I think I’m doing OK with racing on what I have, so I know the bike isn’t holding me back at all yet. It’s probably <50w saving getting a sw8 aero bike, and it’ll be cheaper at the moment for me to get that through fitness rather than wallet.

Very much appreciate everyone’s input. Quite glad I asked because I was getting quite close to blowing loads of money.

I’m grabbing some lightly used carbon-soled shoes tomorrow as current ones are giving me toe cramps, and from there I’ll sit and wait for a garmin 500 package on eBay/gumtree to show up & start doing some proper heart-rate zone intervals rather than just guessing.

Then, I guess $200 bike fit is actually a decent investment, when I’m thinking about going up again in grades, start seriously chatting to a few coaches & if they use power in their training then do that. Till then just cram up on some reading while I’ve got my evenings free from Uni study.

There’s always drugs…!

Cyclops Powertap PRO With Velocity Road Wheels | eBay

Saris Powertap Wireless SL HUB ANT Bontrager RIM DT Swiss Spokes | eBay

Powertap SL Road Cycle Power Meter DT Spokes Mavic RIM | eBay

Anyone had experience with the iBikes Newton?
It seems to be handy if swapping between bikes is a priority.

Have heard that accuracy and consistency is an issue with the ibike units, I have zero personal experience with them though.

As many other peeps have said, Garmin 500 and ride to HR is quickest way to improve.

Mate of mine has been training for Ironman for the past 2 years and is only riding with Garmin and HRM.
He was supposed to do Shepparton last year but hurt his knee after running 86km in a week.
Since he needed time off from running he went in for a triple hernia repair in Sept and has done 4000km on the bike since 1 Nov.
He’s 44 with 2 young kids and send me TXT abuse every day I don’t ride. Apparently there are no excuses.
As Isaac said, weekly training program, smart training and commitment is key.

Just bought a power meter, details to come!

From what I’ve read, the theory behind iBike is sorta sound, in that it doesn’t directly measure the power you make, rather it measures all the forces that hold you back - wind, rolling resistance, bike and rider weight, gradient etc - and estimates what you’d need to put out to go that pace. But there seems to be too many variables that could change on a ride that would throw it out, including going from riding on the hoods to the drops messing with the aerodynamic resistance data. Which is a bit ridiculous. You might as well just do heart rate zones if you can’t get consistent data out of the thing.

Keep us posted!

I’m sitting in B grade now, think when I get to the pointy end I’ll start hunting around for a few coaching sessions. Have been keeping an eye on old, wired 2nd hand SRM units, seems around $550 for the lot including head unit, which ain’t bad at all.

Nice!

sram rival stages power meter, some people say you need something that does left and right power but there isn’t a lot to support those claims. My thinking is if they’re good enough for team sky it’ll be just fine for me.

It’s all relative as long as you have a “x” reading that is a constant than that’s all that you really need.

In power meter news. Heinrich Haussler has just started using one for the first time.
So there is hope you can still be come pro without one!