Ratio problem

Hey all, first time poster here.

Picked up a single speed secondhand (virtually brand new) which is loaded up with quality components, however the chainring/rear cog ratio is waaaay too “spinny”.

Currently, it’s got a 20t white industries freewheel on the rear and a 48t chainring up the front (on nice omnium cranks) which brings me to something like a 2.4 ratio.

What would you change? Sell the white industries rear freewheel and buy something else (16/17/18t), or shop around for a (massive) 54t+ chain ring?

Apologies if this post is a bit on the noob side. This is a commuter, prefer to stay on freewheel for the moment.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

R.

Naah, that’s great, I have 38/16 & 44/18 on a couple of SSs and mid 60’s gear inches is aok.

If you don’t get used to the higher cadence pedalling in a week or two, then just buy an 18t freewheel for ~72". Going bigger on the chainring is possible but you might need a longer chain as well.

Thanks AL. Right now, it feels impossible to get used to as my previous bike was running 44/17 which on 27" gave me 70.8 gear inches.

The new setup as I said before is 48/20 on 700c = 63.5.

So give it a few weeks you reckon?

Cheers,

R.

Depends on whether you’re just riding to the shops, or going further on flat roads.

Shouldn’t be too hard to find a 50t chainring. 51t is the traditional upper limit of track rings.

Alternatively, find some local polo players - they’re you’re best bet for selling a second hand 20t freewheel.

What you got is perfect. Learn to ride that. Better to ride at a higher cadence anyway.