Rear wheel recommendation

But the question remains: did someone at Deus slag off on Aeroheads or did they not? Cos if they did they deserve the bollocking they got.

I know I’ve been in shops where the shopbros have disparaged a product merely because they didn’t have stock and were trying to offload something else: ie “nah cuz, gatorskins are shit and we’re out of stock, rubinos will be better for you anyway and we happen to have some” sort of talk.

That’s just silly. More often than not actually tell people where they can get products that are better suited for their needs than what we stock. Jonno, you make it sound like you’ve already made judgment. There are 2 sides to every story.

I’m waiting for Cezwan to respond. Seems to have gone all quiet.

Yeh, I made judgement on the initial call, didn’t have any reason to believe someone would come in and lie about that.

Also, I wasn’t saying that that’s what happened, just saying that I’ve previously been given bullshit advice when something wasn’t in stock (not by deus).

Apologies for casting nasturtiums, I have no reason to be judging and calling bullshit willy nilly. Still keen to find out what was said to the OP though :slight_smile:

^ Too late. Spirito has already taken your picture out of his wallet.

:frowning:

Nah, I love Johnno. Everybody does, he’s just that kinda guy.

i have met him for all of 2 minutes and i feel he is my brother.

but you also think that of alexb21435613424…

no, alexb6186753d and i are, as far as i can tell, the same person.

We even have the same birthday, the same first initial and almost identical usernames.

I don’t think I’ go down on ALEXb27/6 … just sayyin’

Lets open a can of worms

My Version:

I guy walks into Deus on Tuesday, comes up to the counter and says he like some advice on a planned build.

Sure, we can try.

I’ve got an older bike that I hope to build up and am not sure about what parts I’ll need.

Ok.

I’ve got a Campagnolo Record track crankset and am not sure what BB i’ll need to use.

What sort of frame is it? Do you know what threadings it has?

Customer pull up a Geurciotti to the counter.

Ok, it’s Italian threaded so you’ll need a bottom bracket to suit. Do you have an idea of what era Campy cranks you’ll be using. Are they the modern smooth dished style or the older square fluted arms? I point to a Cinelli RVCA haning on displey with current Campagnolo track running gear.

Yep, that’s the cranks I’ll be using.

Ok, you’ll need an Italian threaded Campagnolo Record track bb which is 111mm, symmetrical and is a carbon sleeved cartridge BB. I ask will you be using this on the track or just for street riding?

I’ll be using it just for the riding around on the street.

I point out that the Campagnolo Record track BB doesn’t have seals as it’s intended for running inside at a velodrome and not subjected to the elements. For the street I’d suggest a Centaur 111mm symmetrical bb in the same italian threading. Same taper, same threading, a little cheaper, a little heavier but sealed and will likely last a lot longer if ridden in all weather and conditions.

“Customer” starts writing all this down on a piece of paper.

I point out we have both styles of BB in stock and can fit it for you.

Uh, that’s Ok … I was going to check with my friends and see if they have any of these they might not be using.

OK

Also, I’m looking for a Cinelli Stem like this one (shows a 120mm 1A) but in a shorter length. 90 or 100mm. Do you have any?

Sorry we don’t have any classic Cinelli stems in the shop other than longer ones such as yours. I ask my colleague and he hasn’t any shorter ones no, Unless you’re after a black one, I only have a black short stem at home.

No, I’m after a silver one.

Sorry, don’t have them but if you look on eBay you’ll find plenty. Make sure you can clearly see what condition it’s in … that all the hardware is good and it’s without any scratches or crash damage. Does it have to be Cinelli? What sort of bars will you be using.

Nitto track bars.

ahh … Nice bars but you may have issues if using them with a Cinelli stem. I point out that Nitto track bars are excellent but the Cinelli stem you’ll be using has a 26.4mm clamp whilst the Nitto bars usually have a 25.4mm sleeved clamp area. You can use a shim but it’s inelegant and might not be recommended for such a large gap (1mm). Far better imo to use a Nitto stem with the right clamp size. I point out that some may say it’s not right to “mix pasta with rice” in reference to using nitto parts with campy drivetrain on an Italian frame but I think the nitto stems are super nice and available brand new, which beats paying a premium for a used Cinelli stem. I show the “customer” a Nitto Pearl, and point out that unfortunately we don’t have a 90mm in stock but can order one in. We do have 10mm in both deep and regular drop.

Ok, I’ll think about it. (writes more notes down). What about headsets (points out threaded fork)? Any particular type I’ll need. I’ not sure what threading it takes?

I explain that the difference between Italian and English is only slight and of no consequence unless one is constantly alternating back and forth between diffferent headsets, this can compromise the threads. But if you choose one type and stick to it there’s no issue and either will be fine for his purposes. We have Campagnolo Record and Tange Levin which looks a little more classic. I point out that whilst both of those are nice it’d be a nice touch to find a classic Campagnolo Record chromed steel headset on ebay. Whether road or track is fine as it’s clear that you have plenty of length on the steerer and it’s likely to have had a headset on there with just over 40mm stack height. Crown race looks good, we can clean out the threads before fitting it.

Ok, cool. I’ll see what I can find. (writes more notes). Once I’ve got all this sorted I’ll be looking to get some wheels. What do you reckon?

What sort of budget?

Not sure, something basic but classic looking with a shallow rim.

Well, there’s many options. Bang for buck it’s hard to go past a Velocity made wheelset. Sealed bearing hubs, stainless spokes, good quality rims and made in Australia. we have quite a a few wheels here but even if you ordered to your preference, depending on rim and colours, you’ll be looking at about $450 for a set, maybe a little less.

For a classic bike like yours I’d recommend the Velocity Razor rim. It’s a classic box section, eyeletted and will really compliment a classic lugged track frame like yours. We sell a fair few of them. I climb up into the loft and retrieve a black Razor rim to show the customer. They offer them in black or bright anodized silver, in both machined or non machined sidewall options. It’s up to you, think it through … weigh up how you’d like the bike to look and what suits best. We can order for you and usually have it within 1 week if we don’t have in stock what you’re after.

After that I think you’d have to spend quite a bit more $'s to have a discernably better quality wheelset. We can hand build a wheelset for you using Campy Record hubs or any hubs you’d like and we have prebuilt wheelsets from Mavic, Campagnolo, Hed etc. They’re all nice but for the most I think Velocity made wheels are hard to beat for the price.

What about the aerohead rim?

Nice rims, a little lighter than the Razor. About 420 grams compared to 450 grams. Are you hard on your wheels? I ask.

Yes, why?

Well, if you’re using no brakes, ride hard on bad roads, doing tricks, jumping curbs etc I think its better to consider some of the beefier rim options. The areoheads and razors are nice, look classic but may not hold up to as much punishment as say a Deep V, or B43 rim which is very stiff, or even a Chucker which is a very strong rim. They all weigh a bit more but can be classed as “bomb proof”, and can really take some punishment. If you ride regularly the shallow, lighter rims are fine, you’ll have no probs. If you’re doing tricks & jumps they’ll be busted within a week.

(At this point the customer had a face on like his world was coming to an end.) So the low profile rims aren’t going to last as long?

No, not at all what i’m saying. I ride them and have built 3 sets with razor rims. They’re all fine & I’m a lot heavier than you are. Similarly, we’ve sold a bunch of pre-built wheels using the lighter Velocity rims and they’ve all been fine but given that the other rims weigh more it’s a given that the extra material makes for a stronger rim. Velocity also have a rim called the A23. Newer design and nicely balanced between light and strong. Not as classic a profile, but an excellent choice.

Ok, looks like I have some thinking to do about what style wheels to choose from.

Sure, take your time … weigh up how the you’d like the bike to look and we can order the exact spec of wheel you’ll need. As I mentioned they’re hard to beat and you have many options.

Ok, thanks for your help. I’ll see what parts my friends may have and will get back to you.

[i]Cool, no probs[. Take your time and build it up right. /I]

All up I’d spent about 20 minutes, pulled out different parts/rims, and I’d like to think advised the “customer” fairly about a few different things.

Surprised to read how many of you were quick to condemn, and eager to slag off Deus. I’m almost certain that i was the staff member Cezwan spoke to at Deus. I’d like to add that he’d spent not $0.01c yet all you fuckheads wanna call WW3 at the outrageous customer service he received. Can’t believe how stupid some of you are and not one of you has even dared suggest, hang on that doesn’t sound right.

Why the Deus hate? Most of you haven’t even been into the shop. I’ll wager that you’d be hard pressed to find better service and advice than what I give. Similarly, all of the staff I work with are passionate about bikes (mad actually) and none would even come close to giving out the bullshit advice as Cezwan suggested. Not on my watch.

Similarly, I’m amazed at how readily people write off shop and shop staff on the premise of what one person says here. So many good people doing great stuff in many bike shops all over Oz. It’s a tough way to make $. For this reason I’ve never wished to even mention on these forums that i work in a LBS. What’s the point when there’s so many hater’s?

What makes it even more frustrating is that there’s so many customer’s like this who ask a bazillion questions, take note and we never see them again until they’ve botched something up that they’ve bought online. Time waster’s, tyre kicker’s, “wine tasting” for cyclists. They’re also the first to write off shops or counter staff online, even on these forums. Want all the advice, too lazy to do their own homework, spend nothing, think they know it all.

Sorry for the late reply, guys.

Been busy with work.

So, what they said was that the Aerohead will not stand “abuse” such as skidding. I kind of got worried, as I don’t run breaks, and it could be disastrous if it fails on me when i have to emergancy skid to stop.

They also said it would have to be trued once a week at least. The thing is, they had them in stock, and had no reason to tell me otherwise. They kept pushing for me to get a deep-V, but to be honest, I am not a fan of them. Haha.

Im not slagging Deus at all. Just simply asking for advice.

I actually like the staff at Deus. They’re good people that are always helpful.

There is no need to get defensive when I haven’t once said anything bad about the Deus staff, or knowledge on products.

Edit*

And for the record, that was the “bullshit advice” I was given. Why would I lie about it? I was recommended against getting an Aerohead, and wanted a second opinion which I am in my every right to get.

Edit 2*

Funny how your version of the story consists of me asking for a Campagnolo Record track crankset when I do not own, or ever had one. Also, Cinelli stem? I think you are thinking of the wrong customer, as I ride a Bianchi.

Best to figure out what customer you are talking about, before you write off someone who has no dealing with your supposed “version”.

Well, you have by incorrectly quoting something and taking it out of all context. Have a look at all the nice things that others have written based on the words you wrote.

Wait… Back up… You wouldn’t go down on Alexb618?

This is what I had written:

[i]"I went into Deus, and one of the guys there was insistent the wheel would not last more than a week if you ride it hard, thats all.

So Aerohead is not as bad as I was told?"[/i]

I would like you to tell me where I have insinuated, or made any reference to “slagging Deus”.

Furthermore, I didn’t incorrectly quote something. Calling me a liar because of something that was said by a staff member at Deus is plain offensive.

Get your story right, before you accuse someone of something you had no involvement in.

Ok, this thread only has potential to go downhill from here on in.

Cezwan: whatever you said, whatever you were told by whomever, whatever you interpreted (because noone has a video recording of the conversation), here’s your final answer:

Riding fixed on an Aerohead is fine. Doing tricks on one, or a Razor, or a TB14, is not.

If anyone has any issues with the threadlock, PM me.

Damn you Blakey, I wanted find out what Spirito really thinks about alexb618!