Riding to Wee Jasper

Some friends and I are going on an overnighter on Monday to Wee Jasper. Taking it slow for the most part, hoping to get there in time to explore caves/walk around the area a bit.

Just wondering if anyone has done the ride and if you might have some advice on a) route to take, b) places to top up water and c) whether there’s a reliable store in Wee Jasper to buy food supplies from.

My current route is below, and is about 80km.
Uriarra Rd > Fairlight Rd > Mountain Creek Rd > Sawyer’s Gully Rd > Wee Jasper Rd.

Anyone have any routes to suggest on the way back? We’re fine for dirt (ideally hard pack), but probably don’t want to go more than 100km on the way back, one of us isn’t used to long distance/long days.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

N

I’ve ridden it twice.
1st I went solo, rode to the end of Mountain Creek Rd then turned onto Wee Jasper Rd. The only unsealed section was Fairlight Rd. This route is the longest, but flattest. There’s only one sustained climb, but Mountain Creek Rd has a lot of undulation which can be draining.

2nd was with Keith and Sean. We did the whole length of Doctors Flat Rd. It’s 100% unsealed firetrail and extremely hilly. That ride has the highest elevation per km of any ride I’ve done. Not recommended for unfit riders. It was tough but the Mountain Creek crossing is a real gem.

In terms of recommending a route, I can’t comment on the Sawyer’s Gully section but I imagine it will be tough for the inexperienced rider given you’ll be going straight over the hills, on dirt. Going to the end of Mountain Creek Rd is long but much flatter.

There’s no place to refill water on the way unless you ask at a farm house. It’s not very far so two bottles and small bladder will get you there. If you come back the same way you go, you can always stash water on the side of the ride somewhere, or drive out and stash.

When I went the general store was permanently shut and I didn’t venture far into town to look for more. The pub is the first building on the right. It has booze and bottled water, and pies and pizzas. The owner is a bit eccentric and has no idea about running a hospitality business, but she’s nice. It’d be worth calling there first to ensure it’ll be open, and you can ask about other shops in town.

Thanks for the tips, Adam.

Might go Sawyer’s Gully on the first day, see how it is, then come back Mountain Creek way if D doesn’t feel up to Sawyer’s Gully again. She’ll be on her MTB though so might find it easier.

Good to know there’s no general store! I won’t rely on it.

You might want to call the pub about it. I didn’t venture far into town so there might be something there.