Sell me on a disc all roader - probably frame only

Its running Force 22 HRD, with CX chainrings (46/36) and 11-32 cassette. I wanted to go 1x (my previous CX was 1x) but i couldnt get the gear range required to suit climbing gravel/single track and fast road riding with a 1x. A 10-42 cassette might just do it, but i used to get annoyed with the gaps in my 11-36 10 spd cassette so i knew i wouldnt like it. I pretty much ride it as a 46t 1x on the road unless there are big hills

Depending on your fast group rides/crit racing a 46t might be too small, but a classic 50/34 would give you even more range anyway. I think ill need to swap mine out soonish

I have 3 wheelsets atm, 700x28c road, 700x40c CX and 650bx47c gravel, all are tubeless. This is a straight CX frame, so cant clear 2.0 or 2.1" 650b, but the road plus 47c fits nicely. A nice gravel frame that will clear 2.1’s would be awesome, but probably not quite as nimble and bit less aero

At least get the R8000 or 5801 FD if you go 6800. Complete redesign of the mechanism removes the long arm that rubs the large tyres you want to run.

Consider that cheaper bundle groups might land you with the wrong caliper depending on what frame you get. FM/PM.

I think I’d probably go SRAM 1x anyway, which would solve clearance and FD issues. I put Rival 1 on my wife’s bike and was very impressed with it. I won’t be racing or fast riding and generally don’t need the very high gears, and I can also deal with the gaps because I’m usually either riding uphill (and at the top of the cassette) or downhill (and at the bottom of the cassette) without shifting all that much.

No movement on this plan as yet, rode the canti braked cross bike yesterday with good sensations, just wish the brakes matched the feel of road calipers.

mini vees

Which brands are blakey approved?

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=26338

In summary:

Yep, RX5 for newest shimano/shram shakes, 926al for campy and external gear cable shimano shakes. upgrade pads and noodle.

So I jumped the gun and bought RX5 for campag, will I die?

The 926s are cheap so if I have to buy those as well so be it…

install them, see how you like/hate it and then swap out for 926s as required. I had 926 and switched to CX8.4 with 6600 shakes and the modulation/rim clearance was noticeably better on the 926s.

adjustable noodle (or inline if you can’t find one) is needed to fine tune them

[QUOTE=jezza323;678726]

Depending on your fast group rides/crit racing a 46t might be too small, but a classic 50/34 would give you even more range anyway. I think ill need to swap mine out soonish

You had a big enough gear on that bike to gap the field in the last lap of the crit at Ipswich last week for the win!!

[quote="“supermanlegs,post:31,topic:70056”]

Yeah got a bit of a lucky gap and kept it away, also only my 2nd crit, so probably a grade down from where i should be once i work out wtf im doing.

Really a 46-11 can be spun over 60kph with power, so unless there are reasonable downhills you should be ok

So I looked at a Trek checkpoint, price is slightly higher than I would have liked, it’s black or grey only and I have to deal with not Campagnolo… But it does appear to be a solid option.

Put them on today, seems better up and down the street, misread the ordering as I got two full sets. I now have two sets of cantis and one set of mini v’s that are surplus for my one canti posted bike…