Shred the Nar . MGG #12 . Sat June 28.

Thanks MikeD, I was leaning towards that. Only reason I am considering slicks is because the Jack Brown slicks rides really smoothly on fine gravel and would be easier on the legs for long distance…

You’d finish fine with larger slicks, it’s more that there is a couple of descents and climbs that the traction of knobbies will be good for.

Good to know, miyata with nomad 45s (and more importantly gears) it is*

*do have a cold though so dependent on levels of softness a DNS is also a posibility :"(

I want these to fit on my pomp so bad. Anyone tried? Are they close to 40 on std road rims?

mine measure ~40~42 on 24mmish wide Mavic A319’s.
I’m running a 42mm (pretty much actually is 42mm) knobbie on the front of my pomp which juuuuussstt clears the 80mm 926AL mini_V’s but is otherwise fine in the fork
Rear I’ve got a nominally 40mm tyre (also knobbie) that actually measures ~35 (truth in advertising right there) and it only just clears the chain stays. the wheel is about in the middle of the track ends.
If your ratio is such that you can have the wheel as far back in the ends as is safe you might get a 40mm (probable for a nomad on a narrower, roadish, rim) in.

You’re welcome to try and shove my wheels in your pomp if your at the gravel grinder, spacing will be all wrong (unless you’ve spread the pomp for MTB, 135mm hubs) but should give you some idea of whether it’s worth pursuing further.

Another thing to note is it seems gumwall nomads are no longer readily available via the intertubes.
Resists site has them but won’t ship outside the US (i’m in for a group buy if anyone has a US freight forwarding deal).

What time could I expect to be back in Melbourne if I come?

erm, think I got back to melbs (training) about 5ish when I rode it, but that was stopping at every corner writing stuff down and a detour, so I think 3.30/4ish is more likely.

Also, the shape of the course is kinda like a diamond, so if you get into the second 3rd of the route and are worried about time you can just google maps a road half way along the third 3rd and cut east to it (and miss the 2nd stop).

Hope that made sense.

Totally does. Thanks!

I couldn’t get 40s into it from memory. I think you could squeeze one in if the hub was right at the end of the track ends, but then the brakes wouldn’t reach the rim.

The long track ends on a Pompino are deceptively short.

Damn. When I move back to Melbourne I’ll build up a proper disc crosser with room for 45s (either that or I do something like dafrogs miyata). Could never sell the pomp though, been through too much with me.

Get Keith to make one at the same time he does ours

Thanks for the feedback MikeD. With this week’s extreme weather, I would imagine that the road may be a little damp and loose.

This will be my first participation of this event, looking forward to meeting everyone. I will be the one on the golden Soma.

With all the rain we’ve had, would a roadie with 28mm slicks be a bad idea?

Not ideal, but if it’s all you got bring it. You’ll make it. There is some sealed roads too.

Thanks for a great day out!

I was stoked that I managed to remain with the lead group all the way to Mt Eirene Rd, and get back to them at Gembrook. Thanks to Ben and Travis for the company on the trip back from Gembrook.

Thanks for another great route Mike, but damn you for putting those kickers in near the end. Jerk! :wink:
Highlights for me were not being “in the box” for the last half of the ride (unlike last time), and getting to see a Gang gang cockatoo drinking from a puddle on one of the gravel roads.
Cheers crew. :slight_smile:

Hang on… you getting a Kumo tandem?

Had a brief but awesome time flying along and spinning my little legs out on the fast and flat opening k’s of the ride with the front group. Lost a chainring bolt and my drivetrain started making funky noises so I trained from Nar Nar Goon back to the city and got it fixed up (small joy: friendly LBS’s that do things for free and with a smile). Inspector Chimp and I smashed some mammoth Dosa’s at Flora when we got back.

To be honest I wasn’t really having a great day (sore bum/hands, upset stomach) so was pretty happy to call it quits.

Leaning towards Tri/Quad-Dem? with BOB trailer for Kin.

Hey if someone lost some sunnies on the ride get in touch and I’ll sort out getting them back to you

Cheers for a sweet route Mike. Having done zero riding out that way it was cool to check out the area.