Suggest me some bikes

Singular Swift/Griffon?

Soma Juice? -steel, 29er, SS-able etc

Available, affordable, can use existing parts to get it started.

Also, if your looking at commuting/bikepacking/touring etc on it and to be a 2nd MTB to compliment a dually I’d personally steer away from the slacker geo frames, they’ll be a bit sluggish to ride on multi day trips that involve dirt roads etc. I think more classic XC 29er geo is fine.

Ahhh, yes. The Some Juice has come up a few times now in discussions with at mate from work.

Old mate Kiwi NickD went for a Juice and it’s ace. Also, there were like 5 of them shredding on WNR at one stage. Sick as

Read this review in the voice of Jeremy Clarkson.

Dblpost

your new wheel set should suit it no?

Also more similar geo to your On One than the KM (I think)

The wheelset is already spoken for on the Camber.

Thanks Mik. This one is now high up on the list.

I love you man.

Well, if the end caps are swappable on the old camber wheels put them on this!

I priced one of these up at my local and the frame was $1150 - is that about right?

They are nice but it didn’t ride that much better than my inbred 29er. I ended up not going ahead but it didn’t make much sense as a second bike while I still had the On One.

What size are you? This is cheap and easy…

Yeah, that’s about right give or take a $100 when it comes to an imported steel frame from Soma.

The more I read about mountain bikes the less I seem to know.

On ones aren’t suited to todays forks unfortunately…

The whole “ignore tapered forks” thing they have going on?

Would you actually bother swapping it back to SS? It seems like a lot of work

Also - if this rig is to do touring/bike packing duties there’s the question of rigid vs sus fork.
Sus makes sense on trails but maybe not so much bikepaking.

Bingo. I think this one is pretty much solved lads.The Soma is ticking a lot of boxes.

They went with a jamis dragon sport.

Pretty sure it was 2nd hand though.

i’m throwing my endorsement in with the soma option. people seem to keep on buying them here (and at least one rider is prone to breaking things and he hasnt broken his). ive seen them ridden way faster than any on-one, both loaded and unloaded (but that might speak to the different target audiences of each brand).

that is unless a 2nd hand deal comes up on something better in the meantime.

That’s sensible if you plan to keep it for a while.

The Soma’s are nice but it would be worth having a decent look at the Niner. I decided the Sir9 was worth the extra money before i got distracted and bought a cross bike instead. I was looking at the p29 too, but ruled them out after seeing the local prices - I don’t think the offer anything to justify the extra cash.

The local Niner dealer was quoting around $1400 for a Sir9, which is reasonable for a lovely frame which will last forever.