Sugino "pista"

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Noticed the new Cell fixie bikes come with Sugino cranks, found some on Ebay and cycling deal (cycling deal claims they are RRp $120) for $50. Seems too good to be true/there must be a reason they are so cheap.

Any experience? I’m in the market for a new crank but not sure if this is a bargain or just a garbage crank.

And yes, I googled them first.

Good cranks, great price.

They will do the job.

Only downside is they’re a “road” crank, not a “track” crank, so the chainline isn’t 42mm at the outer position, even with a 103mm BB.

It’s close though, and the crank is a good forged unit.

Sugino actually make quite a few of the other brands. Any sugino crank is decent as far as mettallurgy goes in IME

Thanks all! Appreciate the help

I use them for my polo rig…so I can attest to their strength and durability

I mean, they’re not infallible:

Sugino XD2, subject to super duper strap/shoe wear. Not that any other crank would be immune to this.

the only thing infallible in this thread is Blakey’s smugness.

incontrovertible troof

Cyclingdeal does these Suginos for a mere $40. $110 gets you Messengers. I’d pay the $70 difference!

I’d pay $70 and grab Miche Primato cranks, i ran the Suginos for a year and they were fine but the price of dinner extra is worth it.

For $70 I’d go for the Andel track cranks, they’re 144BCD and cold forged with a CNC’d ring. Plus you can use just about any square taper bb. I’ve owned those and now I have Sugino 75s, and I have to say the differences are negligible though the 75s are marginally lighter and somewhat stiffer.