Super Commuting Tips...

This. I reckon this is probably the most important tip of all.

good point this. we can only gauge single point distance by light intensity, but two points can be determined by their relative separation. +1 for fibre flare (awesome tail light).

I’m not arguing with your logic Des but I don’t think that’s why motorcycles commonly have two headlights these days. I think it’s mostly fashion (there are some striking parallels between sports bike riders and roadies). Besides, one light is usually low beam and the second light comes on only with high beam. I think mine is one of the few exceptions where both lights are on all the time.

But I agree with you - I’ve usually got between 12 and 20 LEDs on the back, 5 LEDs on the front plus a rechargeable twin 5w/10w headlights. And occasionally some flashing blue LEDs :slight_smile:

These are cheap and are great backups for visibility to a couple of main lights, i have one on the front/top of my helmet and one on the back. I think drivers have noticed me so much more with this on my head when (if) doing headchecks.

anyone else get some of those crappy free lights they were handing out lately?

just clip a shitload of them on your bag

Yup, because with your fenders, panniers, bells and fluoro vest you don’t want to be recognised when you’re heading past the hipsters.

Oh, and my tip … just because someone has a bright jacket, lights and fenders doesn’t mean they’re a gumby and gonna be slow, so don’t push in front of them at the lights and cut them off. If they are slow, just have some patience and overtake them later – don’t force them to overtake you.

BTW: where’s the “post your commuter” thread? I’d start it but I got no camera right now …

I would also add:
Just because we cover ourselves in helmets, reflective strips and jackets, and all manner of lights, does not make us safe riders. Use your head as well as the equipment.

leave a spare change of clothes at work so you have something if you forget to bring clothes, or if you don’t actually make it home the previous night to get fresh clothes

When it’s cold, wet and miserable outside remember what it was like to use public transport.

/goes and gets in company car and drives cos I hate Melbourne’s PT and refuse to use it. Also living 5 mins from work has its bonuses.

I commute on an early 90’s vintage geared roadie (Biopace rules), which I keep chained to the kerb-side toaster-rack outside the office where I work.

Security tips:

1. Try to chain up your bike next to one that is more attractive and/or not as well secured. The bike thieves are then much more likely to steal the other bike.
  2. Allow your bike to develop a well-used patina. This makes it less attractive to thieves. (Note: You can, and should, still keep your bike’s working bits clean and well maintained).
  3. If your bike has a QR front wheel, then replace it with a nutted front axle. This makes it much harder for thieves to steal the front wheel. That then means that you can secure the bike with a single lock through the frame and back wheel.
  4. I’ve seen some commuter bikes with really nice saddles where the owners have secured the saddle to the frame with a short length of bike chain. That means you can only remove the saddle if you have a chain-breaking tool. I don’t need to do this because my saddle looks like crap — but if I did, then I’d probably put the length of chain in thin plastic tubing to protect the saddle and frame from scratches.
  5. If you’re locking your bike to a toaster-rack, then try to lock it up so that its in the middle of the rack and as far as possible from the kerb. This means your bike is less likely to get damaged if a car or truck mounts the kerb (this has happened to me). Also try to lock up the bike so that the front wheel is closest to the kerb (as the front wheel is easier/cheaper to fix or replace than the rear wheel).
  6. If you’re locking your bike to a toaster-rack, then always make sure that the drive side is not against the bike rack. This will help prevent damage if your bike gets moved about while its locked to the rack.
  7. If the bike rack is already crowded when you arrive, then please be careful that you don’t accidentally lock another bike to yours. There have been a few times when I’ve come to unlock my bike at the end of the day only to find that the owner of the next bike has run his extra-long cable lock through my bike’s frame or wheel (i.e. so that I can’t move my bike). This is very frustrating when it happens.

When overtaking other cyclists, always use the back of their saddle as a handle to pull yourself ahead: in turn slowing them down.

in winter, woolen jerseys provide both warmth and style.

1.If locking to a pole, check that it cannot be lifted out of the ground
2. deodorant. (prefferably roll on, this does not mean lynx)
3. you do not need to listen to music while riding
4. If you have a casual dress day, don’t bother getting changed. The ladies love the outline of tightly clad manhood.
5. Facial hair to stop the chill in winter / add to sense of mystery

some men too :stuck_out_tongue:

I only live 5 minutes from work so I’m forced to take extensive detours to acheive a decent ride to work.

The number 1 tip for a great commute:

1. date someone from work who:
    a. lives 6 doors down the road from you; and
    b. drives to work everyday,
    so that you can get her to:
    c. iron your clothes for the day;
    d. carry said clothing to the office together with anything else you require for the day; and
    e. purchase you beakfast and coffee in anticipation of your arrival.

Lemme know if you ever break up … sounds like all the hard work is already done !!!

pretty sure my girlfriend would politely tell me to fuck off if i asked her to iron my work clothes!!! good thing i like(hell, maybe even love) her regardless

sounds like yours is a keeper

You’re the boss. Don’t assume that you have been seen, but ride like you are in charge. Make your decision and make it clear to others.

Slow down to ride fast. Give yourself the time to make the above decisions, be smooth and look good. Ride efficiently. Stay safe.

Respect. Treat cyclists, pedestrians and drivers as though they know who you are. They might.

Ride a bike that you can lose. Ride a bike that you can get wet. Ride a bike that fits. Ride a bike you like.

Variety. Mix it up. Have a few different routes. Ride the long way home. Have fun.

My tips:

1. head check your inside lane (ie left) side as well as the right before moving across a lane - 9 times out of 10 some douche will be trying to overtake you on the inside;

2. ‘take the meter’ if you are in a bike lane to allow margin for error against being car doored.

3. if a driver holds back to give you room acknowlege it with a hand wave or similar for positive karma.

4. use every hill as an opportunity for ‘secret training’ - smash as hard as you can.

Getting shirts washed and ironed at the dry cleaners is cheaper than paying for public transport/parking