Swift Campout?

Lol, checking the area out on gmaps and this was the first thing I came across

There’s also the option for the more scenic/extended route via Ironbark/Ingliston rd to Ballan, then ~30km downhill to Brisbane ranges from there. It’s a really nice ride, mostly gravel.

A crew of us went out there last year, recommend The Little River ‘walk in’ campsite on the Burchell trail, its not actually a walk in, but book the two sites (12 pple) now I reckon (prices have gone up! $68 for both sites, but still cheap if ~10pple get along) then your mostly guaranteed to have the place to yourselves.

That site has a toilet, fire pit and a rain water tank.

Yeah, we road in from Werribee along mostly gravel ~60kms I think via Anakie for lunch.
Then back out via Bacchus Marsh for brunch -> Diggers rest then the city cos trains were cancelled.

Think I’ll make it.

I’ll book tonight.

When should we meet at Werribee? It’s the solstice, so will be dark early. Would be good to be setup and have the fire on before the sun goes down ATMO.

Also, technically you have to bring all your own fire wood for the fire pit, but there was quite alot of dry flood wood in the creek.

Pretty regular trains on Saturday mornings, the ones that arrive around 10ish in Werribee should be fine.

I booked this by the way.

Who’s in?

reckon I am

We’re flying to Alice first thing on the 21st so will miss out.

Have got touring gear sorted now though so should be able to join in future.

I have at least one spare complete sleeping setup for anyone too, probably for three more people. Plus spare bags, a BOB trailer, stuff. If you want to come but don’t have gear, PM me.

I also have a spare mat and some panniers.

there’s tree’s for my hammock right?

From memory yes

I’m still in. Got gear.

Thanks for booking Pete. Can throw some $ your way.

The 0907hrs train from Flinders St gets in at 0958hrs, or the 0927hrs gets in at 1018hrs. I reckon lets do this second one. There snot going to be much light - you know, with the solstice and everything, sunset is 1708hrs - but this should still give us enough time to roll out legs over and be setup before dark.

I’m planning on carrying a light camping load, but also running rear panniers or something so that I can take a heap of firewood. Anyone want to help out with this? I’m tempted to run the BOB for this job actually.

Any other ideas for group food/drinks? I’ve got a giant pot that fed 11 of us porridge on the Overland Track. Not fussed if people want to keep the cooking individual. Maybe I’ll do a Bushbuddy demo regardless.

Its only ~60kms if we go a predominantly dirt way, we left Werribe around 9.30/10 last time and got there at 4 or something with alot of faffing and going the long way.

I can make up a GPX/map and people can go earlier/later if necessary.

I reckon everyone just do their own thing for food, its too hard to coordinate beyond 2 or three in my experience, but just bring plenty #maxload, hungry in winter sucks, although maybe we all go in on a bottle of whiskey or two.
(we’ll probably have plenty of cookers, so if you don’t have one don’t stress).

heres a route to the camp, 54kms, only 500m of climbing.

can nip into Anakie if you need lunch, but the store there is a bit average, better to bring your own.

Depening on how many people come we can go to Ballan/Digger rest (vline) or back to Werribe (metro)

Cool. Reckon own foods good. Bit easier to plan. Whiskey to keep the cold away sounds good too. I’ll probably over rather than under load with food/warm clothes.

I’d be up for a ride back to the city weather dependent. Could cut into point cook from Werribee and take the bike path/back roads through to Williamstown. Can make a call on the day. That’d be 120km ish?

It’s all dirt roads (via volcanic gorges) to Bacchus Marsh from Ballan.