Sydney's fucked: lets move to Newcastle!

He was travelling east from william st, not college

Yeah, realised that a while ago, couldn’t be arsed editing the post. Point stands tho, the cop could’ve boxed the guy into the gutter. It’s mostly uphill on that stretch, cyclist would’ve been going slow.

They’re just taking the Victorian “human shield” angle.

Assault for a minor traffic infringement ?

For a motorist they’d write them a sternly worded letter and send them a fine.

Most bicycles don’t have mirrors. The rider was apparently riding at 15km/hr, the rider probably had no reason to look behind him and thus would not notice lights during broad daylight. All a cop needs to do on a motorcycle is overtake the cyclist, stop, point at the cyclist and point at the kerb. How is it that they’ve been doing this job for 100 years and they still don’t have a procedure…

Honestly the guy needs to get a job stacking shelves or something, he is plainly not cut out to deal with the public as a police officer.

Can’t wait till they start stopping cyclists for the papers please gestapo routine, that’s really gunna be fun.

Pearlers on the Tele’s coverage:

Ivan 13 hours ago
The cop possibly saved the guy’s useless life in a round about way. He should be grateful instead of whinging.

If the officer’s report is true, the guy didn’t stop when requested and ran a red light, which are more serious than not wearing a helmet. Like I said, it’s not too much different to talking a person running away, which I’ve seen cops do several times for shoplifters and train fare avoiders.

Tele’s comment section is absolutely on point. Literally every single cookie cutter argument argainst bikes you can imagine, I love it!

He’s been reading Bikesnob

A-ha! So the cyclist wasn’t wearing a helmet! Clearly then the police officer needed to shove him off his bike for his own safety. Otherwise the cyclist might have crashed and injured himself.

Instead of complaining, the cyclist really should be thanking the police officer for saving his life.

again, having to chase someone is different to a tiny blip of the throttle of a motorbike to get past the cyclist & attempt to stop him from a position further up the road. accelerating a cop bike from 20km/h to 60km/h would literally involve opening the throttle for about 2 seconds. chasing someone on foot guarantees no definite result, so tackling someone when you can makes more sense (though I’d argue it’s possibly unnecessary most the time anyway)

Which also begs the question, is physical violence the answer to a $5 fare evasion or nicking a DVD player?
Up until the point that the guy on the bike got knocked off by the cop he was physically unharmed, and hadn’t physically harmed anyone else.
This sort of shit is the thin end of the wedge: if we don’t speak out against it it’ll become normal (which is arguably already happening).

NSW Police have helmet cam of the incident.

^ So are they going to show it?

Hells no! It’s evidence in the prosecution of the criminal bike rider.

Fair point, and I agree, getting tackled over a $5 fare is way over the top. I guess my point is the inconsistency in media coverage. This bike/cop thing got coverage, whereas foot chases and tackles don’t generally

Don’t get coverage until the cops tase someone to death: Death of Beto Laudisio - Wikipedia

I think this got media coverage because it happened in front of dozens of witnesses and the immediate reaction of the cop was to disagree with what those witnesses had just seen.

Look what happened to bloody Mulrunji Doomadgee, fight the power!

The scofflaw cyclist speaks out: Media and politician contacts | Bicycle Network

pinarello single speed track bike

#sotb

Probably ex-Melbourne too by the sounds of it. Bloody southerners, coming here and ruining it for the rest of us.

'sup. Newcastle isn’t too bad.