Tapleys Hill Road - Torrens to Grange Road

Tapleys Hill Road - Torrens River to Grange Road

Does anyone ride this bit in peak traffic?
There’s a bike lane on either side of the road but it’s busy and in the three months I’ve been driving along it, I’ve already seen one cyclist cleaned up at a point where there was no earthly need for it.

I need to commute from Seaton HS on Glenburnie St. to Edwardstown. The run along Frederick St seems pretty obvious and from the Torrens to work is a well worn run opposite the airport, then up the Sturt River, it’s just that bit in the middle.

I’ve never ridden tapleys, I avoid it the same way I avoid grand junction and south road.
I used to commute alberton to Edwardstown via findon/Marion roads with never a problem bar Anzac hwy area but I’d time it to run the yellow to buy some empty space through the narrows.

I’ve ridden it a couple of times on the weekend and it’s not fun.

But then again, Marion Rd is pretty shitty as well.

Thanks, that’s what I thought. I don’t use Marion Rd either.

Ah well, I can work the back streets. Fortunately I don’t have any illusions about Cat6 point to point times.

Best avoided. We only every ride the coast road.
Reece Jennings bike path to the airport then the path through the airport and May Tce past the golf course to Henley Beach Rd.
Then Rowells Rd to Grange Rd. It’s a bit more riding but much safer.

What’s the Reece Jennings bike path?
And which is the path through the airport?

The rest makes sense. I might even leave the car at Target. The plan is to drop my daughter at school (Seaton High), then ride to work at Edwardstown, then ride back again to collect her. Leaving the car at Target shortens the trip a fair bit but she’d possibly be safer there than in a backstreet somewhere.

The Reece Jennings bike path runs along the side of Tapleys Hill Rd, West of the airport.
Runs from Sir Donald Bradman to James Melrose lights.

There is a bike path from the main airport entrance to Tapleys Hill Rd along the Northern boundary of the airport.
It may actually start at the edge of the Ikea carpark.

Could go for a roll in the morning and have a look for you as I live just South of the airport.

If you come along the Reece Jennings bike path, East on James Melrose to Morphett Rd, then South on Morphett Rd.
You never want to ride along Morphett Rd past the Morphettville race course. Too narrow and too many idiots.
Been buzzed by dickheads in Commodores a few times.
Getting to Edwardstown is probably easiest long the tram bike path, turning South at the Eastern edge of the race course (Park Tce) then running South to Bray St.
East on Bray St, over Marion Rd onto Raglan Ave, past the Edwardstown velodrome and pop out at the Castle Plaza lights on South Rd.

Or East on Stonehouse Ave (Camden Park), over Anzac Hwy onto Cross Rd until you get to the lights at Chitral Tce. This will take you South to Raglan Ave and the Edwardstown velodrome but is a bus route and can be a bit narrow in places. At least you’ll be going against the traffic in peak hour but it’s a busy ‘cut through’ for a lot of people.

Ahh, so I knew what the Reece Jennings bike path is after all, just didn’t know it had a name.

As for getting to Edwardstown, and admittedly this is determined a bit by where I work (think corner of Oaklands and South Rds), I follow the Sturt River from Tapley’s Hill Rd, right up to just after the first bridge after Morphet Road, up a side street then Wallala which takes you to the lights at Sixth Ave/Marion Rd. I’ve done that lots of times. Not a high speed run but you can keep up a safe 20km/hr average.

Just looking at google maps (always a bad idea), if I cross the Torrens on the bridge (when heading north), turn LEFT, then take one of the off ramps into the side streets, I can take some long backstreets down to Frederick Rd and then to Seaton HS.

It works out to be a short 20km run from work to school, not bad for a commute, especially seeing it’s all flat. I appreciate the ‘all flat’ bit because when I don’t have my daughter, I’m commuting from Edwardstown to Happy Valley so although it’s shorter, I have to climb Flaggy Hill or Expressway Hill to get home and that never seems to get easy.

Now, the big question. Do I take the S3X off the back of the Hillbrick and revert to the Miche Express wheelset? The sodding great hills on the other days can be done on the geared bike or I can revert to walking … which I tend to do now anyway. I love the S3X but it’s really only of value going down the really big hills, climbing never gets easier.