the what would you build to help me choose what to build thread

I need to get some wheels made for my molteni master.

I have a pair of 10sp silver Record hubs, which will be used, the spokes are a non issue, but my problem is rim selection.
The wheels to be honest will not be used that much, that’s not what these bikes are for, more they need to be pretty and matching.

I have shortlisted it down to these:
NOS Mavic Monthlery Route
cool because they are silver and oldschool and tubular. not cool because they are old (although they are better fairing than most of the other old options)

H+Son TB14s in silver
cool because they look oldschool and tubular and come in shiny silver. not cool because they’re pretty heavy, and i feel kind of ‘shonky-knock off’ for this bike (not saying they aren’t well made i just have snotty preconceptions…i ride campy FFS, PASSION AND SHIT), also they are clincher, and i would prefer tubular.

Ambrosio Chrono F20s or nemesis
cool because they work well, are new, and are italian and the like (i already have a a pair of each on the other two masters). not as cool because i kind of want silver rims.

and just for a bit of variety, Mavic open pros in silver
cool because they are new, silver, they work well (have a pair), are cheap and are lighter than the tb14s which ar ethe other clincher options. not as cool because they are boring, and again, clincher.

so, what you lace to the rims if it was your choice?? any other suggestions?
^^^^^ i dont even know what this sentence is meant to say. holy fuck.

Do you have the Monthlery route rims? They were mid-lower end stuff, but I have some NOS ones here if you need them.

And some Fiamme red labels.

I bought nos campy tubs for my tommasini on eBay from Europe and they look amazing.
I built them to pista hubs my self with dt Swiss comps and veloflex record 22mm.
They ride like a dream.

I’d advised modern rims against the old stuff, even if NOS. Fine on track bikes or wheels with little dish but for modern 130mm 9/10/11 speed wheels the old rims won’t be as easy or consistently hold up the tension required with the larger wheel dish.

These rims are legit. Super well made, better quality then any of the older mavic eyeleted rims.

Heavy… pffft. Your riding a steel bike!

Nemesis or Crono bead blasted and re-annodised silver. Balls out. Do it.

this. if it’s just the colour, get them stripped and polished/anodised

I’ve tried de annoing hard ano in my early days and it fail.
You would need to soda blast I’d say.
I’d just go tb 14 there so bloody well made.

Nemesis as-is. Lorday’s look the absolute duck’s nuts, who gives a fuck about shiny. Hard ano is where it’s at.

Seems like a lot of effort for little gain. And the original finish rocks!

Just go the Nemesis or Crono if tubular is a must.

fellatio, he already owns 2 x master x lights - i say balls out or gtfo. you don’t buy the last available molteni and go half arsed.

Only the paint is Molteni (in style). Otherwise it’s just a Master and being they’ve been made since the mid 80’s to just about now he could go any direction he’d like imo.

he could, but he made a point of it being the last available master x light in the prmo colour scheme, so if it’s that special to him, i still say go with the rims he prefers in the colour/finish he prefers.

ultimately, i give no fucks, but ash did ask for opinions. :wink:

ultimately, i give no fucks, but ash did ask for opinions - and that’s one thing i’ve got in spades :wink:

mavic module e2 clincher? Please excuse everything about this bike aside from wheels.

and that’s a good thing :wink:

So it’s a modern frame with a nod to the past? With modern 10speed stuff but silver cranks for a vintage-esque feel?

That’s got TB14 written all over it.

If you want to go tubular, I’d still go something silver. I love the 80s hard anno stuff, but to me Molteni orange = 70s = silver box rims.