Tour Aotearoa, 3000km Length of NZ. Feb/March 2016

Yeah, committed to doing this next year :slight_smile:

The St James broke so many people haha. I was expecting something called a ‘cycleway’ to be a super chill rail trail.
Cycleways in NZ = enduro-horse terrain.

Yeah, “cycleway” for the St James should be replaced with “mtb track”, I was fortunate to have been thru there before in a 4wd and my Dad give me an idea of how long it wold take on a MTB.

I really enjoyed the Waiuta even on my steep/rigid drakkar. Wharfedale was a bit meh, wouldn’t do again by choice.

hmmm, don’t think 2"+ is 100% neccessary (though this depends on the exact route, but considering its the Kennet bros I don’t think they’ll be any gnarly mtb-ing), my nano’s are 2" on my rims, and I think a light fast tyre on the gravel and road makes up for the slight loss in grip/confidence in the single track.

I’m eyeing this up next year too.

Perhaps not but I was pretty chuffed with my tyre choice for the KB - 2.2" Race King ProTection - having a high volume speed tyre with a sturdy casing was ideal for the mix of surfaces. I was more referring to those peps with 700x41-45c tyres. descending those chunky but slippery sections on Big River Soldier road would akin to ice skating through a rock garden, I would have thought. Sam from Bicycle Junction (who switched to the Brevette after St James) said that Maungatapu, Porika and St James descents were painful/frustrating on his 41c Knards. Says he’ll be back on an Elephant next year.

Well this is sounds like fun…
I saw/heard of guys doing it on 30ish mm CX/tourers and thought 43mm tyres would be sweet.

There’s a hill like that near Canberra. It’s one of the two hardest climbs around here. Guess I need to visit it for practice.

I guess if MTBers are pushing, everyone will be.

It’ll be fun.

You need to remember it’s not a race, it’s a adventure.

Yeh, the whole ride isn’t all like that. Those challenges are part of what make a ride like memorable.

I’m planning to take close on a month to do the ride because I intend to take time out to enjoy myself.
I want the flexibility to stay some place for half a day or more if I’m loving it there, as well as full rest days. It’ll be my first trip to NZ, my first trip overseas in about 10 years, and my first proper extended holiday without family obligations in many, many years. Gonna make the most of it :slight_smile:

You need to smash the first couple of days to make the ferry, then cruise…

Yeh, no problem at all. The first leg following the coast looks pretty easy.

O_O Dan: I’m 24 and want to do the TD before I’m 30… guess I’ll see you at the start line in 2021 :slight_smile:

Bigadz:
Man, I can’t think of a single person on a CX bike that did the Brevet and didn’t switch to the brevette after the St James… Like I said, for enduro-horses only. As a veteran to angry’s TWBD rides etc etc - the terrain in NZ still felt like it was on another level to anything I’ve experienced in Aus atmo.

There’s a reason almost everyone rocked up on a 29er…

Having said that - after speaking to Jonathan at the KB and after hearing people talk about the course, it seems like there will be quite a bit of extended road sections etc… so I dunno hey.

If the terrain is anything like the brevet - even if you are planning on taking it cruisy, a CX bike will likely ruin your enjoyment haha.

But yeah, as someone who wasn’t planning to, but switched to ‘cycle-tourist’ mode - I reckon you are making the right call! Had a blast and could actually take it all in (was also my first time in NZ).

Excactly.

true, yeah a 45c with drops would have sucked through there unless you were a mad bike handler.

Thinking I’d be keen for the Kiwi Brevet in 2016 but will be in 'merica when this is on or shortly after.

I think I’d die if I tried it but it’s something to aim towards

Next KB is 2017. Next year they’re running the TA instead… dunno if the Great Southern Brevet will be postponed or run concurrently with it.

So I told that the 100 places filled up bloody quick and there’s a waiting list of 80 more riders. Did you guys get your entries in or did you snooze?

One of the local chaps has got a place and has appointed me his ‘coach’ … dunno what he means by that but sounds like a good excuse for some overnighters and gear geakery. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Tom, its Brett - but no SS for the ToA)

I got in.

Well, I think I am on ‘the list’-although I am not sure if the start or wait list.
Considering there was no official call for confirmed entries it seems a bit strange they filled up so fast, my mate Will came across the start list on facebook and put his name and mine in cos I aint on the 'book, but I also emailed Jonathan yesterday.

I understand the need to cull some numbers but just having a ‘soft launch’ rather than a openly known/precise date that entries will be open like the Brevet doesn’t seem very fair. -i.e tough luck if your were away during the time the email went out…

But anywho they are organising on their own back with no entry fee so all good, and I understand nothing is confirmed till you donate/offset.

I also predict a good 20-30% drop off in those ‘entries’ come the end of year.

Fuck, been afk all week
Looks like I’m on the ‘wait list’

So I’m planning to get into Auckland about 3-4 days before the start so I can catch a bus up to the Bay of Islands for a day or two, then get into Kaitaia the morning of the pre-ride briefing.
I’m still waiting for the airlines to make fares available. They don’t become available until 350 days beforehand.