Track Wheels - Custom build or off the shelf?

Thanks guys,

picked up some yolo wheels while I consider my options here…

The Hed Belgium option is looking pretty promosing.

Thoughts on White Industries hubs? Aside from the naff splined cog business? Comparable to Phil’s etc?

I have Dura-Ace 7600 hubs on my Bridgestone, and yes they are dreamy.

A mate has WI hubs built to enve 6.7 hubs. 10/10 radicool. by all accounts they spin beautifully and build up well/are finished nicely.
i don’t know why but i still prefer phil HF tarck hubs though. the rest of PW products make me snore but the HF hubs are perfect.

Yeah the high flange phils are awesome. I run then laced to tb14’s on my sw8 fixie and they’re so good.

Henri, will legitimately by those zipps if you sell. Pls pm me for before putting them on bicycle market or similar.

Phil hubs are pretty shit for track tbh they are over sealed and don’t spin well loose ball for life

Same goes for the Phil bottom brackets. I’ve got one on my new bike and it doesn’t spin anywhere near as freely as a loose ball unit. Even if you’re doing all your track cycling outdoors, the chances of accumulating enough moisture or dirt to detrimentally affect your parts is slim to none.

Sealed stuff is unbeatable for weather resistance but honestly how much of that do you need in a track racing part. But hey at the end of the day it’s probably all negligible. A hub or BB that spins a little sluggish probably won’t be a decisive factor in a race.

edit- HLC if you’re gonna go american sealed hubs, I reckon stick with Paul or Phil. Splined cogs are bloody annoying. I used a couple of the Miche ones ages ago and although they aren’t proprietary like the WI ones (they just use a lock ring thing that stays in place), the 5 odd seconds you save when changing cogs isn’t really worth the hassle of ensuring they are all the same brand. Pretty fucking expensive too, when you consider that a DA cog will last years and is only like $35 on Wiggle.

this can be addressed