Tubeless kits advice/help

I am sick of rear pinch fats on the CX wheels, so my question is has anyone used the tubeless kits and which ones for cyclo cross?
I saw the fred’s and the stan’s ones, the fred’s looks good and easier to use, the stans cost’s a lot more and looks overly complex.
I only want to use it in the rear, so if anyone has half a kit left that would work with road rim please let me know

Thanks

Electrical/duct tape and some sealant should so the job.

^Ghetto tubeless is the cheapest way to go.

Stans, WTB, Spex, Slime - they all work. Haven’t heard of Fred’s before…

Stan’s is often cheaper if you buy the tape, valves and milk separately (and not from Wiggle et al).

Get ones for XC rims or ones for a narrow rim width.

for non-ust tyres you often need to seat the tyres by quickly inflating them with an air compressor (but make sure you keep the pressure down under 40psi).

Torpedo 7 has a Stan’s full kit for a cx at the moment on sale for $65

Yep what dice said, compressors are the go, also if its a new tyre it helps to use a tube to inflate it overnight first to stretch the tyre.

This guy has quite a bit of good info and advice about setting up cx tyres etc tubeless
Guitar Ted Productions

and yeah what they said, compressor ftw, I use a presta->schrader adapter and take it to the servo up the road.

also, if your gonna buy actual tubeless rim tape, get the 21mm stuff for a 23mm rim, helps fill it out for a tighter fit.

aspire velotech has good prices for the stans tape. probably for the other stuff too, but I’ve only bought the tape.

Do it right…

Tubeless CX is still evolving and the common MTB variations (ghetto etc) arent always as reliable with skinnier tyres/rims of CX.

Just put more psi in you tyres.

had a play with ghetto tubeless methods - not great, not happy with it for CX, will NEVER race on it - maybe for rolling around.
having said that, i think tubeless is THE FUTURE. have got the WTB Chris Cross rims, which i am happy with so far as a rim, and am this weekend about to try set them up for the first time tubeless with Clement tyres (not officially TR, but have decent reviews)

I would take Nik’s advice. no to ghetto… if you want tubeless do it with genuine READY rims/tyre combo.

as for the above… not great results as yet. can get them to set with a fair amount of tape - but this to me defeats the purpose of these being a UST shape and having the bead lock lip… going to try a couple of other options:

• firstly see how my other wheels seat up (Hed Belgium + rims) with the clement tyres
  • get my hands on some genuine tubeless ready tyres and see how they go on the Chris Cross rims.

will keep posted

Where do you race and where do you predict THE FUTURE from? You have HEDs, you have WTB’s, you have Clements, invest some pocket money and get the real stuff.

dude. we’re on a forum. it’s my opinion… but being my opinion i can state that it is categorically fact and will, with 100% certainty be the only way forward.

i’m not sure where you’re coming from though? i have 2 sets of very nice rims, one “tubeless ready” which i actually never intended to be a CX wheelset, but i have them to try. i have the only CX specific tubeless designed rims on the market as far as i know… and a tyre i want to ride, and is apparently ok for tubeless setup - but sharing my experience that with the correct rims this isn’t exactly working out as planned…

exactly what “real stuff” are you talking about…

(i assume you might be maybe referencing one of the 4 sets of tubular wheels i also have…)

thanks guys, a lot of great information and advice.
Spoke to a mate today and she suggested giving it a go, she has a lot of experience setting up race mtb tubeless and is confident it will work…it’s going to be interesting!
higher pressures make sense, but with the 50mm wheels and having problems finding removable valve cores I have been using the tub style valve extenders and can’t get a proper pressure readings on any of my pumps!

Ok update, I’ve changed the wheel to a normal rim, and will run at higher pressure, now that I can see what pressure I’m putting in!
Would still appreciate any feedback on tubeless for cx though, including tyre choice, mate said she’d seen three tyres blow off the rim when putting air into them, all of the scwabe, mtb yes, but all the same share your experiences please.

Installed plenty of tubeless never blown one off,
The biggest thing that may lead to that would be folding tyres that are kinked,
I usually oh high enough in psi to get it so seat properly(often up to 45) then let it sit for a while,
A bit of detergent on the rim/tyre can help it brad properly.

I’m suprised everyone who race’s CX that isn’t running tub’s would be on tubeless. No sane (wo)man who rides trails/MTB rides anything but tubeless. You can run lower pressures without the fear of pinch flats (which means more grip), the ride quality (even at the same PSI) is better and ‘thorns/jacks/spikey stuff punctures’ are sealed by the sealant.

As has been mentioned though, non MTB tubeless is a different ball game. Pressures, tyres, rims… ’

It’ll get there. It’s just not all the way there.

Go to masters and buy a roll of half inch gorilla tape. Thicker and tackier than electrical, same as comes with enve wheels, just without the branding. Grab some vittoria XG tyres, my clements wouldn’t seat tubeless, but the vitorrias were fantastic with my Belgium + setup. Not everyone is a fan of the tread but i couldn’t fault it too much. Run the Schwalbe latex rather than Stans as it has a grit in it that will seal better than Stans.

Make sure you have a decent track pump to help with seating, all about volume.

Go to masters and buy a roll of half inch gorilla tape. Thicker and tackier than electrical, same as comes with enve wheels, just without the branding. Grab some vittoria XG tyres, my clements wouldn’t seat tubeless, but the vitorrias were fantastic with my Belgium + setup. Not everyone is a fan of the tread but i couldn’t fault it too much. Run the Schwalbe latex rather than Stans as it has a grit in it that will seal better than Stans.

Make sure you have a decent track pump to help with seating, all about volume.