Velosophy randonnee

I was just trying to extract my photos from instagram to post here… but refreshed the page, and now there they are. Thanks Dan!

We had a good team. When Carlin couldn’t make it we got a local junior track racer from DHBC to fill in, and despite being half the age of most people on the day he had no trouble at all keeping up - put us to shame really. Pretty sure he’ll be going places.

It’s good to finally to see the strava map, to put together the map I had in my head.

Here’s my rundown of the course. There were three parts to it, starting from The Oaks pub:

1. A loop out to the east, with a great little dirt lane (Westbrook Rd) to get to Old Razorback Rd. Bit of climb there, then a really nice smooth descent down Remembrance Drive. Coming back along Burragorang Rd we too a detour to the north up “Big Hill Rd” which lived up to its name. Short but steep.

2. An out-and-back trip to the west, up to Burragorang Lookout. Amazing view, had no idea that was there. Road surface was horrible though (part of the idea I know…)

3. A loop to the south, down to Thirlmere Lakes, with some sandy tracks in the National Park. I really enjoyed that part.

To finish it off there was the climb up Barker’s Lodge Rd to take Montpelier Drive back to The Oaks. Some nice views around there, but I was just concentrating on keeping my legs moving by that stage. Noticed Dan was still looking chirpy as ever at the top of the climb. Bob and Tom and I were wrecked by the end, which made it a satisfying day really.

The event was really well run, as it needed to be for 36 or so teams of 4 riders… but it also wouldn’t be hard to organise a similar thing just among friends with much smaller numbers.

that fourth pic is a cracker.

Sounds like we need to do some slow rollouts…

The ride out to Windsor/Richmond is pretty much perfect for getting back on the bike. No hills to speak of, breakdown lane wide enough to ride 2 abreast, and plenty of servos/cafes/bakeries to stop at if needed.

Tom was a champ! Have to say - I really enjoyed the ride more when we were paired up instead of the paceline, trying to keep a solid pace. Glad we had a better attitude than the Saxo-Bank team - no abandonment on our team.

Lucky for me :wink:

The pics look great. Really sad to miss it, but seeing that profile and time, there is no way I could have held it all together.

Definitely keen for some spring rides to make up for it though. Fast(ish) or slow.

All this talk of spring rides is getting me excited for some spring rides.

I can throw together a nice 100km route out old northern rd towards Wiseman’s, and then out past Richmond. I went out Cattai Ridge rd again on Sunday morning and it’s just so great out there.

Make them not on Sundays and not at 5.30am and I’ll keep you company.:

ftfy, and yeah, a more gentlemanly hour!

Yeah, me too. Next time I guess. At the start I thought we’d need to be single file for the traffic, but by the end I couldn’t believe how few cars we saw.

I’m always up for more NW rides too. Haidee too actually if they’re cruisey enough.

Keen…

Didn’t take too many but here’s some of my pics from the gram… last one sums it up.
All in all a great day and I’m surprisingly not too sore, all of me was at the end of the day.

Instagram

Well okay then. Sounds like there is a bit of demand for a cruisy flat-ish ride out northwest way.

How does 70km @ 25kph average sound? I’d suggest a Saturday, leaving Baulkham Hills around 7am.

I’ll have a bit more of a think and work out a date.

Perfect.

Sounds great. Hoping it’s on a non rostered-on weekend for me.