Vintage HiFi Thread

Not super hi end but good basic integrated amp with tuner and classic … I’d be onto this as a starter amp. Almost tempted just to buy it for the shed 'coz it looks so cool.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280954218169

Legendary Audio Classics: Marantz Model 2220b Receiver
classicaudio.com… For Sale… Marantz 2220B

i don’t have anything fancy nice, but it’s reasonable and cheap.

technics sl1500mk2
topping tp30 digital amp
ART djII preamp
alesis point 7 monitors

in particular, both the topping tp30 and the ART preamp get great reviews, and can be had for around $80 each. back on topic (vintage), i’d love to get one of these:

don’t know if it sounds good, but sure is pretty.

Noice, those flywheel tuner wheels are cool.

February. :slight_smile:

Same. Poor man’s Technics 1200 Mk2

pretty indeed, it’s very cool looking.

Very different in style but I was very taken by the below A & R Cambridge amp & tuner that sold recently for $355. Regret not having a crack at it.

A & R Cambridge British made amplifier and tuner in very good condition | eBay

Remind me early January and I’ll start a Johnno b’day thread :slight_smile:

If it fails badly I’ll buy you a beer for getting your hopes up.

this is the only photo I have of stereo gear.

1974 Michell Focus One now sold. These days I use a Clearaudio Champion with an Origin Live modified Rega RB250 tonearm and an Ortofon Blue cartridge (definitely recommend that cartridge!! Best cartridge under $1000 imo and it costs $200)
Musical Fidelity phono stage (i love this thing!)
Valvemark amp
Not pictured: Sonique SE5.5 speakers.

Also, I just put the amp in a cupboard and am using a Luxman from the early 80s cos my 18 month old keep ripping vales out and I didn’t want him to hurt himself. He loves putting records on.

Even better, shortly after I posted it here it finally received a bid. Hope it’s somebody here.

That’s cool. Like father, like son.

Quite the setup.

I think you know someone is an audiophile when they have a separate phono stage.

Kinda like the single origin coffee of amps

Isn’t this vintage by today’s standards?

I’m not a real audiophile, just like a nice sound. The “transparency” that real audiophiles chase leaves me totally cold. In fact, I’ll take a solid state amp over a class A, which is sacrilege to audiophiles.

This^^

I had a mate who dabbled in audiophilia, and I ended up reading quite a few magazines worth of bullshit about that stuff. Made me want to not get involved. I know we’re all bike fanatics to varying degrees, but some of those audio guys would make a kanye level of weenie obsession look like kindergarten amateurism. And before you bite zak, I’m actually saying you’re relatively normal. :wink:

Low oxygen copper cable bullshit

i owned one of these. it was sick. one gig of data!

yeah that cable stuff is crap, also I find it ironic that most audiophiles and men 40+ that often have shit hearing anyway (in terms of freq range).

but I guess that is kinda similar to old bankers and stuff buying pinarellos.

Proper Audiophiles are one step up from model train enthusiasts.

I had one that was 512MB. Still pretty good.
I remember in 2004ish buying a USB drive that was also 512MB. $79.95. ON SPECIAL! farken 'ell. I got an 8gig for about $10 the other day.