Visiting!

New Zealand. Sorry.

Steph and I are coming for a family visit and looking to hit Ben Lomond and roll up Jacob’s Ladder.
I appreciate the surface is gravel - how rough though? Having done my share of gravel climbs on a roadie, would I be fine to climb on some Durano’s? Obviously packing spare tubes and a repair kit - but Safe to assume that if I pick my lines carefully it’ll be alright?
Also, any tips for the climb? Things that worked well for you, things that didn’t?

I haven’t ridden it, but I believe it’s achievable on a road bike. Check out the Rapha ride that went up it: http://pages.rapha.cc/rides-cat/rapha-prestige-launceston

I’ve got a mate in Launceston who did that ride and has also acted as a kind of tour guide for a few visiting ‘celebrities’, John Prolly and Andy White amongst others. Exploring Northern Tasmania by Bike: Climbing Jacob’s Ladder in the Ben Lomond National Park – John Watson | The Radavist | A group of individuals who share a love of cycling and the outdoors. (that’s my mate, Scott in the pics…on the Curve…just like Steph.)

If you want to have a chat with Scott I can PM you his details, he might even tag along if he’s free, depending on if you want company. Nice guy, just drop my name and he’ll be all too willing to help.

Funnily enough when I caught up with him at Christmas we discussed at length about how to get more ‘mainlanders’ down to Tassie for a spot of touring.

Roadie with Durano’s would be fine - surface is akin to Donna. It’s much steeper though (especially at the start IIRC) so traction might suck.

Are you going to ride from Launceston? I don’t remember seeing any towns/services after I left. So maybe not a two bidon ride. And it’s hilly AF getting to the start of the climb.

This was Jacob’s Ladder when I rode it on Jan 2015:

Less than 5m of visibility, and I didn’t get to see the view! So maybe be prepared for hectic weather (even if you are going to ride in the warmer months)

I always thought about doing a S24O where you take the Friday Spirit of Tasmania overnight, ride to Ben Lomond and be home Sunday arvo.

Awesome, thanks Tom! Thinking of striking out from Launnie, with a support vehicle (family who don’t ride but do picnic) so that could alleviate some of the issues around services. I’m a… huskies sized fellow so I might be alright with traction too.

You could ride the Ladder on 28s. Tis fine. Smoooth ATM. We rode it maybe two months ago. All good. Pictures here somewhere: Login • Instagram

Thanks Benny. Looks like two rides over two days - starting with Launnie to Mt Barrow and back on day 1 and driving out to Ben Lomond on day 2 and going up. Also looks like I’ll go solo both times so I’m going to cheat and bring the cross bike (friendlier gearing, 32’s…) as the forecast now has wet weather as a chance

When are you going? If it is clouded in at the top make sure you take warm kit. We near froze on one wet descent.

this weekend :slight_smile:
I’ll take arm warmers & gilet & hat

Looks like I’ll Jacob’s Ladder a miss at this stage - I think we’ve got other commitments now. I got out to Mt Barrow today though via Prosser’s Road. Holy cow that was amazing, and amazingly painful. What a climb and what views. Thanks for all your help and tips Ben!

No worries mate. Getting down south at all? I’m on days off from Wednesday night if you want to go for a spin with some locals.

Cheers, unfortunately I’m flying out tomorrow. We were just down for the Victorian long weekend so Steph could see Neil Finn and I could do some riding. Normally when we’re down we are in Hobart so I’ll definitely take you up on the offer

Non-bike riding tips…

Me and the American wife are heading back to Aus for the first time (for her anyway).
Mainly in Melbourne with family but heading down to Hobart to check out MONA for a day and either Port Artur or Freycinet/Wine Glass Bay.

Any tips on sweet places to go and see?
Also where’s a good place to be? Thinking somewhere downtown to catch the ferry up to MONA.
Probs have a car for the two days too.

cheers

If you go to Freycinet, stop in at Devil’s Corner cellar door designed by Cumulus Studio.

Get the ferry to Peppermint Bay restaurant, great building by Terroir.

Shambles brewery by Room 11 in the city is worth a look, too.

Whisky is currently the hot item in Tassie at the moment, maybe check out a distillery: http://taswhiskytrail.com/maps/

Skip Port Arthur, but do a day walk to Cape Raoul or Cape hauy down the peninsula instead.

Drink a coffee with me.

Port Arthur ghost tour scarryyyyy.

Bought a raffle ticket to some luxo hotel getaway thing in Hobart/outside Hobart.
I hope I win it cos I want to visit Blakey.

if you do be sure to ask him heaps of questions about his Skoda station wagon.

I already have a Skoda station wagon Jamesy. But you’d know that if you ever returned my calls.

dear god there’s more than one of you.