Volunteer bike mechanics needed for red cross

Volunteer bike mechanics needed in North Melbourne for fixing donated bikes to give to recently arrived/released refugees, I’d imagine they’re happy with anyone with a basic level of bike mechanic’ry (i still get a bit lost down there in derailleurville but im gonna try and help anyway).

Heres the vibe of the thing from Red Cross
"Use your maintenance skills to repair and recondition bicycles for clients of our Migration Support Programs.

The Bicycle Program is part of the Red Cross Bridging Support Project in our Migration Support Programs. Volunteers assist in providing practical assistance to asylum seekers who have recently been released from detention, which include material aid, household goods and bicycles.

The Bicycle Program Volunteer recycle, refurbish and recondition donated bicycles which are then provided, free of charge, to asylum seekers who are residing in the community. Each bicycle is packaged with a new helmet, pump and a lock, ensuring that both the rider and the bicycle are as safe as possible.

Our Bicycle Program Volunteers will have basic level of bike maintenance skills and experience. We can provide further training to equip you in this role."

Bicycle Mechanic Volunteer | Australian Red Cross - The Power Of Humanity

great program!

Awesome idea, it’s a shame it’s not in all states.

Also this…

Volunteers must be able to work during business hours on a Wednesday or Friday for a minimum of a 4 hour shift.

…might keep the numbers down.

i’m doing this. used to do the red cross breakfast club at footscray north primary, but it’s not on this year.

Sounds like a pretty damn worthwhile program.

This is rad. I live in North Melbourne, have a Working with Children check, and I’m on school holidays. Hopefully it’ll commence before the holidays end.